Millions Of Insects In My Yard - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2017, 03:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 58

Millions of insects in my yard

Over the last couple weeks I notice my dogs stopped wanting to go out in the yard. I rarely walk through the yard other than about once a week to mow. I noticed when I was walking or mowing or on the riding mower, millions of little white bugs/gnats, I dont know what the heck they are start jumping out of the grass and bouncing around and off of you when you disturb it. You never see them unless you disturb the grass. We have never had these bugs before. My next door neighbor has them as well. Im thinking they may have come from a field behind my house. the owner sold his land and now a hotel owns it. the grass is about 4 feet tall and is laying over on its self its getting so tall.

I sprayed the entire yard and my neighbors yard today so they should all be gone very shortly but I have no idea what these little buggers are. Anyone ever seen an infestation like that? Its absolutely insane.
Doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Doomsday For This Useful Post:
jeffmattero76 (08-13-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2017, 04:44 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,598

Re: Millions of insects in my yard

Your yard may be infested with one of the many species of Leafhoppers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leafhopper
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2017, 07:28 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 6,188

A picture would help.
I'm not sure if there are any fire regulations (probably not) but the new owner should have the field mowed, especially if that grass butts up to any buildings. When it all dries it can become a serious fire hazard. Plus, if not mowed it will die and mat down and rot. The farmer or someone was probably harvesting that grass (hay) and that might be a possibility.

You should have a local agricultural department that can help identify and advise on those bugs. As you suspect, those two yards are not the only place they will be found.

We had an area south of us that ran into a problem where the farm contracted with a sewerage treatment facility to have the remaining sludge spread on his fields. That didn't take long to get the neighbors attention from both smell and insects.

Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2017, 04:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
A picture would help.
I'm not sure if there are any fire regulations (probably not) but the new owner should have the field mowed, especially if that grass butts up to any buildings. When it all dries it can become a serious fire hazard. Plus, if not mowed it will die and mat down and rot. The farmer or someone was probably harvesting that grass (hay) and that might be a possibility.

You should have a local agricultural department that can help identify and advise on those bugs. As you suspect, those two yards are not the only place they will be found.

We had an area south of us that ran into a problem where the farm contracted with a sewerage treatment facility to have the remaining sludge spread on his fields. That didn't take long to get the neighbors attention from both smell and insects.

Bud

Well, it looks like my spraying got rid of them. Just never seen anythig like that. They look like gnats(maybe a hair bigger and white) but instead of flying they were jumping around in the grass by the millions. Now here is the thing, my yard for the first time in years has started to hold onto moisture better. mowing to 3.5 inches, we have had a lot of rain this year but after 2 years of working on my grass, its finally looking and fealing healthy. It can be 3 in the afternoon in the dead of heat and you reach the bottom of the grass and it might still be damp. So im thinking between the health of the grass and the field of 4 ft high grass that we just got invaded hard by these things. Im going to have to call the city on that field cause I cant even tell you which hotel bought the place but its beyond mowing at this point, it will have to be bush hogged. its not even farm land really lol. its about 25 acres of land that a hotel bought from a guy who loved on it and owned it, they are using 3 acres for the hotel but all the open field between my house and his, they have not mowed at all. as far as I can tell, they havent done anything yet to any of the property so they may still be figuring out what they are going to do with it.
Doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:32 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 6,188

Here in Maine anytime someone has open fields they usually contact a farmer who needs feed hay and let them harvest the property. That works to the benefit of everyone, at least until the farmer shows up with his manure spreader. Only terrible for a few days .

Fortunately it sounds like they weren't a biting type of insect.

Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:34 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 8

Quite common in some areas.

They spread like wildfire!
EternalDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:34 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 4,364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday View Post
Over the last couple weeks I notice my dogs stopped wanting to go out in the yard. I rarely walk through the yard other than about once a week to mow. I noticed when I was walking or mowing or on the riding mower, millions of little white bugs/gnats, I dont know what the heck they are start jumping out of the grass and bouncing around and off of you when you disturb it. You never see them unless you disturb the grass. We have never had these bugs before. My next door neighbor has them as well. Im thinking they may have come from a field behind my house. the owner sold his land and now a hotel owns it. the grass is about 4 feet tall and is laying over on its self its getting so tall.

I sprayed the entire yard and my neighbors yard today so they should all be gone very shortly but I have no idea what these little buggers are. Anyone ever seen an infestation like that? Its absolutely insane.
Where are you? A few weeks ago, there were clouds of white flies in my yard. Tremendous numbers, but only for a couple days. The garden is damper than the neighbors' because it's sunken, or valley-like. I did ask the Ag guy I was talking to about the crop-dusters, nearby. Lots of agriculture here. I wondered if the pesticide/herbicide could have killed off some predators of the white flies. He hadn't heard of them.
Nik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement