Make Shrubs Grow Faster? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2015, 11:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 359

Make shrubs grow faster?

This might be a silly question but is there some kind of fertilizer i can use on shrubs to make them grow faster?

i planted all new shrubs in front of my house 2 years ago, and most look like they did the day i planted them.

i bought them all small thinking they would grow a bit faster so needless to say, the front of my house looks kind of funny and my wife is wanting to rip everything out again and buy bigger shrubs.

the main concern are the 2 dwarf alberta spruces i planted on either side of the door.

i live in central NJ.

thanks!
marcus118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2015, 11:08 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 386

I assume you know the dwarf spruces grow very slow. If you want to increase growth, you can use miracle grow or plant spikes .
Some will be along to tell you to do soil analysis, ask how big a hole you dug, how you prepped the hole etc., which is kind of moot at this point, so get to a fertializing
ZTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2015, 06:19 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2

dwarf alberta spruces are just that, they are never going to get big no matter how much you feed them
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
djlandkpl (04-30-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2015, 07:23 PM   #4

Location: SE Michigan, zone 5/6 depending on winter intensity
Rewards Points: 72

Even if the dwarf Alberta Spruces weren't slow growers and small evergreens, there could be issues with the soil and root compaction. Oftentimes plants purchased from nurseries have very compacted root systems, which if not spread out when planted, bind the roots and can kill the plant. I lost a lot of mums from this problem.

In addition, if your soil is hard clay with little enrichment, anything will have trouble growing.

If you substitute other shrubs, you can add milk water to them. My roses and morning glories love it. Depending on what you might plant, fish emulsion fertilizer, or sea weed if you have access to it, will also enhance growth.
NorthernWinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:14 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernWinds View Post
Even if the dwarf Alberta Spruces weren't slow growers and small evergreens, there could be issues with the soil and root compaction. Oftentimes plants purchased from nurseries have very compacted root systems, which if not spread out when planted, bind the roots and can kill the plant. I lost a lot of mums from this problem.

In addition, if your soil is hard clay with little enrichment, anything will have trouble growing.

If you substitute other shrubs, you can add milk water to them. My roses and morning glories love it. Depending on what you might plant, fish emulsion fertilizer, or sea weed if you have access to it, will also enhance growth.

My mom who could and did grow anything loved this stuff, it stinks to high heaven through
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement