Mailbox Post - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2014, 10:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Mailbox post

Someone drove through my mailbox post and destroyed it. What is the best way yo replace it? Just level a new post and compact dirt, stone, concrete? Never had to do this before. Thanks.
slyguysmoke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2014, 11:07 AM   #2
World's Tallest Midget

Rewards Points: 696

Concrete is best, that way if someone hits it again it'll have a fighting chance. Didn't catch your location, but it's a good defense against snow plows too.
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2014, 12:39 PM   #3

Thanks. I'm just concerned that it will make replacement in the future very difficult. I read that using gravel at the bottom and compacting dirt around the rest of it works. I'm not sure how stable that would be though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2014, 04:58 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 270

Mines a 4x4 with a steel base.I put it about 12" deep in gravel. When the neighbors back into it,I simply go out and stand it back up. If it were in concrete,I would have replaced it twice by now.
The last time it was hit,a guy got out of his truck,straightened it up,and put the plastic door back on it.
flhtcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:04 PM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,342

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyguysmoke1 View Post
Thanks. I'm just concerned that it will make replacement in the future very difficult. I read that using gravel at the bottom and compacting dirt around the rest of it works. I'm not sure how stable that would be though.
Ayuh,.... If yer talkin' 'bout a 4x4 wood post, Ya, that'll work,....

Expect to retamp 'round it once a year or so,...

Bein' a Steel kinda guy, years ago, I drove a 1" rebar into the ground 'bout 2' maybe 3' deep, 'n built a pipe box stand,....
It held up quite well til a textin' driver ran his left wheels over it, on his way across my lawn,....
It gutted his car, 'n had to be flatbedded out,...

I went back out, 'n drove in a 6' long 1, 1/2" rebar, 'n built a new square tubin' box stand,...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 09:23 AM   #6

It would be fun to build something sturdy,just to see the damage to idiot driver's cars! But mine is in a spot where it's just neighbors tapping it[and I have good neighbors]Guys across the street have large pickup trucks and a few trailers they use for construction.They back out carefully,but oops happen! One time the mail lady hit it with her Jeep,I'd bet she was glad it just swiveled out of the way when she hit it.
Heard of one guy that had vandals ramming his mailbox,purposely during the night-with and old truck.After the third time in a week or so,he sunk a 8' length of railroad track about half way,in concrete,and set his mailbox on top of it.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:29 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 247

I bought a new cedar post and one of those 3 ft. long spikes that clamps to the bottom of the post and is driven into the ground. Used the excess length of the new post to bang the spike into the ground with a sledge. It is surprisingly sturdy. But seeing someone demolish their car on my mailbox would make me giggle too.
chemman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:17 PM   #8

After digging where the old post was, I found a huge slab of concrete on the ground where they had mounted the old post. I was not able to dig it up, so I started a new one . That's when I found that after getting about 16 inches down, I hit solid rock. Rather than digging a nother hole and taking my chance of finding yet more rock, what to someone think about me cutting about 2 inches or 3 inches off the bottom of my new post and then putting that in the 16 inch hole, using concrete again to stabilize it. Does everyone think that that would work just fine?
Old 01-01-2015, 07:52 AM   #9

16" is more than enough!
Old 01-01-2015, 08:12 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 247

Just remember, when the post gets old and rotten down the road and you want to replace it you're gonna have to dig up what ever you put there before!
chemman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement