Lowering The Costs Of Developing Land? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2015, 11:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Lowering the costs of developing land?

I'm just wondering if you guys have any suggestions for cutting back on the costs of developing a land.

I live in Canada NB. The property I am looking at is about 15 minutes out of a big city and it's in the woods. The woods aren't very dense, and the trees are fairly small. It's nearly 3 acres (350 by 350 in feet).

Here is my plan:
1. I want to have a driveway going into the middle of the property. Maybe about 150 feet in I'm guessing. Doesn't need to be paved or anything special. Am ok with just a crappy dirt road even.

2. In the middle of the property I want to have a little pad where I can store a mini-home.

3. Later down the road I'll implement a well and septic system.

I want to keep a majority of the property as wooded since I like the privacy of having the trees.

So:

I wanted to try and keep things simple and do one step at a time. I called a few contractors about how to doing the driveway and pad.

In order to try and cut back on the price, I asked them what would be the price if I took care of the trees and stumps myself, and they just came in and leveled out the land or whatever needs to be done there. I told them I did not want to to bother with the well or septic right now, JUST leveling out the place.. Not sure what to call it.. grading? cut&filling? ground leveling?

I was told by one guy $6000 or $7000. Another one said $15,000. And another one said $30,000.

All the different prices are confusing for me. Maybe there is just some confusion over what they think they need to do, or they're just trying to make a better profit.

They also mentioned they couldn't be 100% accurate without seeing the place. When I asked about getting an accurate estimate (so I know what to expect before buying), then they say that once I buy the land to let them know and they will come check it out and they will make a more accurate decision at that time.

Anyways... sorry for the long backstory! I was firstly just wondering, which one of these estimates would be more accurate for what I'm wanting? Or is it one of those things where there's no way to tell unless I buy the place, do a survey, and then have the landscaper come out with me to look over the land. I wouldn't mind just somehow figuring out how much it's going to cost if I buy the land.

The big question is though... out of all these costs. What are some ways I can lower the costs? I've already decided I'm going to try and take care of the trees/stumps. I have some family who might be able to help with that part. But anything else you guys can think of?
samiejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2015, 05:37 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,342

Quote:
The big question is though... out of all these costs. What are some ways I can lower the costs?
Ayuh,.... By doin' it All, Yerself of course,......

Buy yerself an ole backhoe, do the work, then sell it,.....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
mj12 (05-05-2015), samiejg (05-05-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2015, 05:46 AM   #3
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Buy or rent ---A bobcat ot mini excavator--or, like Bondo suggested--a back hoe.

Those things are fun---an not to difficult to learn how to drive,
samiejg (05-05-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2015, 09:15 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 14

Wow that is a really interesting idea... lol Now that you say that. I think my father knows how to drive one. Well... he's worked in the woods most of his life doing lumber type stuff and even at one point owned a couple big machines that cost him like a half mill I think.

I'm gonna go do some research on pricing on renting/buying stuff like that and maybe even using one :P
samiejg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to samiejg For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (05-05-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement