Looking For Input On New Lawn - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Msradell

Old 05-05-2017, 09:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 191

looking for input on new lawn

Location - Southern CT
Seed - Jonathon Green Black Beauty Sun/Shade Mix
Fertilizer - Agway starter fertilizer
Shredded Hay

So about 3 weeks about i had 40 yards of dirt delivered to my house. i need to fix a bunch of ruts and hills and areas where i had tree's removed and ground down.

The day after all the dirt was spread and dealt with(ran out of time) i dropped the seed, did more seed than recommended for new lawn, dropped teh starter fertilizer then i took a spring rake and ran it across all the area to mix it up and get it below ground then put shredded hay over everything.

i have been watering twice a day for the first two weeks and once a day the last week and the grass hasnt come in as well as i had hoped.

i reached out to jonathon green adn they said to continue to give it time due to the colder ground temps. most of the fescue seed should have germinated within 20 days. and it seems it has not, is there anything else i should do?

or do i just maintain good care for it and do a really good overseeding with a slit seeder in the fall?
rygar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2017, 09:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 818

Re: looking for input on new lawn

It's quite possible the soil temperatures haven't been favorable for seed germination. Keep pampering it for a few more weeks and see what happens. It's probably already too late to do anything more this spring. After it comes up, I'm quite sure well unless you used old seed, let it grow quite strong before mowing it the 1st time. Depending on how well it comes in you may want to use a slit seeder this fall at least in some areas.
Bondo likes this.
rygar (05-05-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2017, 09:39 PM   #3

yeah im going to baby it as much as i can. i agree that its getting to close to the hot season to plant new seed. want as much time to get good roots going.

i checked the labels on the bags and the seed was good, not old. i will just take my time i guess and give it the business this fall. at least my yard looks nice and flat now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2017, 02:57 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,468

Seeding without a germination test is usually a shot in the dark unless we've had experience with a particular seed company. Some companies will guarantee a germination rate percent.

If your particular cool season grass seed is temperature critical for a germination test, place seeds on a damp paper towel, roll the towel and place it in a baggie then store the baggie in a temperature controlled environment such as the refrigerator if approximately 40F is desired.

https://www.todayshomeowner.com/how-...fore-planting/
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:45 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 4,204

Did the directions on the starter fertilizer suggest applying the fertilizer, then
waiting awhile before you put down the seed, so as not to burn the new seedlings? If the temp is warming up & nothing is sprouting, the seed may have been affected. Also, too much fertilizer can inhibit or kill it off.

Buy an inexpensive soil test kit at the hardware store & test your soil. It could have something that is off.

What are the temps there?

I test seeds like Senior Sitizen suggested, only in a small plastic container with holes, with potting soil & outside. If it grows well, then something is off with your soil.
Nik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 03:10 PM   #6

so to add more info, id say that at least lik e50-60% of the seeds germinated.

when looking at the lawn from the road it looks great, but when you walk over it and look down, its very light.

i will just keep watering it and hope the warmer weather helps germinate additional seed. then i will plug aerate a slit seed in the fall so hopefully by next year the lawn should start the season great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement