Looking For Groundcover Suggestions - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-05-2015, 10:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 98

Looking for Groundcover Suggestions

Hi All,

We're looking for suggestions on a low maintenance, hardy, fast spreading ground cover for an approximately 20 x 20 foot area.

We are in zone 6a and this spot is partially shaded receiving some evening sun.

We currently have some English Ivy in there and it's doing well, but just not moving fast enough for me I know, I know patience grasshopper. Just wondering if anyone had any other suggestions.

Thanks,

Don
ubelongoutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2015, 01:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubelongoutside View Post
Hi All,

We're looking for suggestions on a low maintenance, hardy, fast spreading ground cover for an approximately 20 x 20 foot area.

We are in zone 6a and this spot is partially shaded receiving some evening sun.

We currently have some English Ivy in there and it's doing well, but just not moving fast enough for me I know, I know patience grasshopper. Just wondering if anyone had any other suggestions.

Thanks,

Don
Creeping Liriope (Liriope Muscari)
red92s is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to red92s For This Useful Post:
ubelongoutside (05-06-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2015, 01:08 PM   #3

Location: SE Michigan, zone 5/6 depending on winter intensity
Rewards Points: 72

Greetings from a fellow Michigander.

Another option is to use a mix of ground covers until the one you prefer fills in the entire area. At least then you’d have a variety of ground covers so you can see which you prefer over the long run.

The fastest growing ground covers I've seen are vinca and boston ivy....and weeds, which I'm sure you wouldn't want! I would never again plant vinca, though, because it has a thick, complicated root system which is difficult to break up if you want to remove the plants (they invaded my garden and need to be eradicated, and doing so is a real challenge).

Thyme is a pretty ground cover, sweet woodruff is quite lovely although a bit taller even though it's considered a ground cover. I grew regular and orange thyme, with a delightful fragrance.

Ajuga is low growing and fluffy. Lily of the valley is also pretty with sweetly fragrant flowers. I haven’t grown bunchberry, but it’s another attractive option, as is pachysandra, which I’ve seen frequently as a ground cover in front borders of office buildings.

An unusual choice could be wild ginger, which has beautiful, glossy leaves. Lamb’s ears are sometimes considered ground covers, but they will send up flower spikes although these could be clipped off to keep the foliage at a more consistent and low level. They’re especially attractive b/c of their silvery, soft foliage.

If you consider the option of using annuals to fill in blank spaces while the perennial ground covers become established, sweet alyssum is a good choice. It's available in a few soft pastel colors and provides a nice accent to the typical greens of ground covers.
NorthernWinds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NorthernWinds For This Useful Post:
ubelongoutside (05-06-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2015, 01:10 PM   #4

Greetings from a fellow Michigander.

Another option is to use a mix of ground covers until the one you prefer fills in the entire area. At least then you’d have a variety of ground covers so you can see which you prefer over the long run.

The fastest growing ground covers I've seen are vinca and boston ivy....and weeds, which I'm sure you wouldn't want! I would never again plant vinca, though, because it has a thick, complicated root system which is difficult to break up if you want to remove the plants (they invaded my garden and need to be eradicated, and doing so is a real challenge).

Thyme is a pretty ground cover, sweet woodruff is quite lovely although a bit taller even though it's considered a ground cover. I grew regular and orange thyme, with a delightful fragrance.

Ajuga is low growing and fluffy. Lily of the valley is also pretty with sweetly fragrant flowers. I haven’t grown bunchberry, but it’s another attractive option, as is pachysandra, which I’ve seen frequently as a ground cover in front borders of office buildings.

An unusual choice could be wild ginger, which has beautiful, glossy leaves. Lamb’s ears are sometimes considered ground covers, but they will send up flower spikes although these could be clipped off to keep the foliage at a more consistent and low level. They’re especially attractive b/c of their silvery, soft foliage.

If you consider the option of using annuals to fill in blank spaces while the perennial ground covers become established, sweet alyssum is a good choice. It's available in a few soft pastel colors and provides a nice accent to the typical greens of ground covers.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:53 PM   #5

Another option is to use annual or slow growing ground covers to fill in until you get the coverage you want.

The fastest growing ground covers I've seen are vinca and boston ivy....and weeds, which I'm sure you wouldn't want!

Thyme is a pretty ground cover, sweet woodruff is quite lovely although a bit taller even though it's considered a ground cover.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:29 PM   #6

Apologies for the duplicate posts; I had MAJOR posting problems earlier when the posts just disappeared for several minutes, then reappeared later. Tried to edit but got a message that editing can't be done to a post after 30 minutes w/o moderator approval. I can't find a delete option either.

Am I missing something? Are these options available and I just can't find them?
Old 05-06-2015, 02:49 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 98

No worries. thanks for your suggestions We shall try and see what we can find and what it does for us.

Thanks,

Don
ubelongoutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:03 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,756

Re the English Ivy, it's pretty easy to root. Take clippings from the edges where you don't want it growing, like a stem a few inches long and one leaf, and poke a hole in the ground with something shaped like a pencil. Stick it in a couple inches and pack the ground around it, and water a bit.
ChuckF. is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement