Looking To Aerate And Overseed End Of August - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-23-2017, 10:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 191

Looking to aerate and overseed end of August

Hello Chaps...

Couple questions. I am looking to aerate and overseed at the end of august.

I live in Southern CT...i have my grass already picked out. i will be renting a plug aerator and a slit seeder from a local rental shop and plan on going to town.

my main question is how do i fertilizer? do i use a starter to help that new root growth or a regular fertilizer.

The other question is should i dethatch before i slit seed or will the machine get down on its own?
rygar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2017, 10:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 818

Re: Looking to aerate and overseed end of August

As far as fertilization goes differently want to use starter fertilizer for new grass however you don't want to use any fertilizer until new grass is up and have been mowed a couple of times. New grass is very susceptible to being burned by fertilizer. You should check your soil now and and lime or anything else it needs, you could even fertilize about a month before you plan unseating to have nutrients in the soil if you want.

Whether you need to remove thatch or not depends on the condition of your lawn. You don't want it all removed because it will actually help the ground hold moisture to help termination of the new seeds.
Advertisement