Looking For Advice - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By lenaitch
  • 2 Post By lenaitch

Old 03-31-2019, 04:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Looking for advice

Hi everyone,

I would like to cleanup a lot of the underbrush and small saplings/treed in my yard/woods. The majority of the trees in my yard are pine trees so the needles pile up rather quickly. I don't mind so much the pine trees and the needles its just the smaller crap that I want to get rid of. Any suggestions on getting rid of this?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for advice-img_20190331_131929.jpg   Looking for advice-img_20190331_132003.jpg   Looking for advice-img_20190331_131924.jpg  
bmark0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2019, 06:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 567

Re: Looking for advice

Cheapest and easiest solution is to cut down the shrubs to soil level and then drill small holes on the stub and inject "Roundup" . Do not drill too deep as the solution will go into the ground. You want the solution to go down into the roots. So a 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch deep hole should be enough.
If you use this idea, then water the area first befiore using the Roundup.
Be careful about using this product, wear protective gloves as a recent court decision has determine that this product can cause cancer.

Last edited by rjordan393; 03-31-2019 at 06:37 PM.
rjordan393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2019, 08:47 PM   #3
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 94

Is that undergrowth dead or is it just the time of the season? If it is dead, you could hack it off at or just below grade with an old axe, pulaski, grub hoe or something similar. I likely died due to lack of light or acidic soil caused by the conifers.
I see a couple of small conifer saplings in the photo. I wouldn't go too nuts on clearing the forest floor - every bush lot has a life and needs succession.
Bondo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2019, 11:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

It is very early spring here in the northeast. Everything is very much alive but its just that time of the season. The big trees are all pitch pines and shed LOTS of needles in the fall. I wouldn't mind if the ground was covered in the needles with no underbrush... Any way to accomplish this?

Last edited by bmark0610; 04-01-2019 at 11:15 PM.
bmark0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:01 AM   #5
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmark0610 View Post
It is very early spring here in the northeast. Everything is very much alive but its just that time of the season. The big trees are all pitch pines and shed LOTS of needles in the fall. I wouldn't mind if the ground was covered in the needles with no underbrush... Any way to accomplish this?

Even if that growth will still spring to life you can still hack it out. Depending on the size you could even do it with a spade. Whether it grows back will depend on the species. Plants like sumac are hard to beat to death but do tend to like full light so it might not be them.

How do you accomplish have a forest floor of needles? The trees will do it for you. The lack of light, thick needle mat and acidity (some argue this) will hold back a lot of undergrowth.
Bondo and DoomsDave like this.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:41 AM   #6
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,730

Ayuh,..... I'd probably attack that mess with my weedwacker, with a brush-blade on it,....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:59 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 6,808

@bmark0610 , welcome to the forum, and thanks for announcing your location. That's a big detail in a situation like yours.

There's an easy well to tell if a leafless branch is dead: take off your gloves and grab hold of it; if it's cold to touch, odds are it's still alive (liquid in it); if it's warm relative to the air, it's almost certainly dead. Most of your undergrowth looks pretty small, with smooth bark so it should be easy to tell.

If still not sure, slice the bark and if it's bright green under there it's still alive.

You can also grab hold of small twigs and just twist; live ones will twist, dead ones will break.

I'd go through and see what's alive and dead, and pull out the dead, which is usually relatively easy. (Maybe burn in the fireplace?)

Then I'd go through and cut the living to stumps and treat the stumps when the weather warms and plants nearby begin to leaf out. You'll get a better result, though you can also try to just paint them now, accepting that you might have to do a second try in leafing season. Depending on exactly where you are, that might mean waiting till May.

In any case, let us know what you do, and what happens, to add to the body of knowledge we all share.
DoomsDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement