Long Term Gravel Driveway - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2015, 08:07 PM   #1
Young Bachelor

Rewards Points: 477

Long term gravel driveway

So I have a concern for trucks coming to my house site for construction and such. Right now most of the front is just clay with a bit of gravel the county road dropped off. I plan on having a gravel drive leading to my house since it's 150' from the road and the drive is actually about 200' due to a curve. (concrete would be out of budget) I was thinking about getting some larger river rock for now like 1 1/2" in size - This would serve the purpose to make the drive not rut out and get too muddy. After construction and big trucks leave (4 months later), then I would come in with maybe 1" or 1/2" river rock over this. I know for a proper gravel drive you start with big rock and work your way smaller as you go up. Would it be better to use crushed concrete and the sort that is more like 3 and 4" in size first, or will the 1.5" river rock be a substantial base in the future?

Last edited by CTSNicholas; 05-16-2015 at 08:15 PM.
CTSNicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2015, 10:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 818

You would definitely be better off with the bigger crushed rock instead of the 1.5" River rock. Crushed stone locks together over time as it is packed down, river rock always stays loose. In the future if you top it off with crusher run which has some very small sizes down to powder in it it will pack down very well and provide a nice surface.
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2015, 07:30 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 17,912

Laying driveway cloth, also called silt screen, down before the stone will help keep the stone from just sinking into the clay and becoming useless.
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2015, 08:21 AM   #4
World's Tallest Midget

Rewards Points: 696

We start with 1 1/4- crushed rock for the base and top it off with 5/8 crusher run for the top coat. No river rock or pea gravel, which doesn't compact at all since there are no fines.

A good compact layer of 1 1/4- won't make it muddy, and is a quick and easy base to regrade when it's time for your finish grade after your construction is done.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:21 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 474

You should also look into crushed concrete; this stuff locks up and will not move.I myself like slag as the final coat, once it compacts it’s just as hard and flat as concrete and you can usually plow or run a snow blower over it with removing it.
BrowneBearLLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:10 PM   #6
Young Bachelor

Rewards Points: 477

I figured the 1" or 1.5" rock I brought in would settle into the clay and eventually be a hard surface mixed with clay that would require a top dressing over it of smaller rock in the future. Didn't think about a silt screen to prevent the rock from mixing with the clay. I guess I will have to check on pricing and availability for the rock type. I just didn't want to regret ordering a certain rock for the drive to 'get by' and then when doing the final gravel drive, have to remove the old rock for some reason. That 'slag' sounds kind of nice, I do plan on having to plow snow in the winter.
CTSNicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:36 PM   #7
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,340

Quote:
I just didn't want to regret ordering a certain rock for the drive to 'get by' and then when doing the final gravel drive, have to remove the old rock for some reason.
Ayuh,..... Then forget 'bout river rocks, they're too round, 'n never lock up, 'n compact,....

Crushed stone has sharp edges, 'n lock up like a jigsaw puzzle,...
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement