Leveling Out Sloped Yard By Adding Soil .. Proper Method? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SeniorSitizen

Old 06-11-2018, 10:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 259

Leveling out sloped yard by adding soil .. Proper method?

Thanks in advance.

Just curious as I speak to landscaping companies..

what is the proper method to add dirt to existing yard to raise the entire level (approx 6-18 inches depending on the location in the yard).

We have a yard that slopes and are raising it to make it all level by adding some cinder block walls to fill in. This area is approx 20*20 feet ..

For instance, do you need to till the existing area before adding additional soil, then compact it.. let it sit.. water it .. do it all again?

Just looking for some basic step by steps to help me know if the people I am talking to have a clue--

Thank you.
beachfront71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2018, 10:53 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,488

Re: Leveling out sloped yard by adding soil .. Proper method?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachfront71 View Post
Thanks in advance.

what is the proper method to add dirt to existing yard to raise the entire level (approx 6-18 inches depending on the location in the yard).

We have a yard that slopes and are raising it to make it all level by adding some cinder block walls to fill in. This area is approx 20*20 feet ..

For instance, do you need to till the existing area before adding additional soil, then compact it.. let it sit.. water it .. do it all again?

Just looking for some basic step by steps to help me know if the people I am talking to have a clue--

Thank you.
It somewhat depends what the area will be used for. If pouring a concrete slab that would be much different than a lawn and a lawn would be different than a vegetable garden.
Nealtw likes this.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2018, 03:57 PM   #3

It will be a lawn .. grass only
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2018, 06:03 PM   #4

on a side note.. I have access to local fill dirt from local construction (lot leveling) taking place a block from my house.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:43 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,858

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachfront71 View Post
Thanks in advance.

Thank you.
The blue text caught my eye. Are you dumping old blocks in the fill or have built a block wall to hold the dirt in ? How are you spreading this 20 ft. square area of fill dirt ?

If your renting a skid loader or Dingo, to dump/spread the dirt around it will be compacting as it is driving over it. If just spreading it by hand, watering it down between loads will make a muddy mess to work in.

If concerned about compaction, those lawn compaction rollers that use water as ballasts, can be rented usually. Just better have good legs and a strong back to operate it, and cold drinks on hand.

Or, just get the dirt in the hole to the grade desired and let natures rains take it down gradually. Any grass growing on top of it, will go down with the dirt, meaning you could have some "slumps" or low places later in the area. Just called future lawn maintenance. JMO
Old 06-12-2018, 12:54 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 4,228

Are you actual beachfront? Do you have a seawall? Was the land affected by surf? That would change the whole equation.
Nik333 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:56 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,800

It is easy to add dirt so an overall sloping lawn becomes overall level.

But just wheelbarrowing in dirt is bound to leave minihills and minidales all about the area that might become more pronounced after the first few rain storms. Unfortunately I do not know how to spread the dirt out so it settles evenly to give a truly flat surface.

And you would need to get it leveled before the first storm because once the soil gets wet it will compact in a fashion that makes it very hard to rerake to improve the leveling.
Advertisement