Leaves, Leaves And Leaves... - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bud9051

Old 09-30-2017, 03:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,412

Leaves, leaves and leaves...

So after hurricane Irma, a large mature 60 year old olive tree from across the street completely uprooted and fell across the road. The city came and cleared the road, by cutting the tree trunks and pushed the logs and roots into my neighbor across the street, and all the branches into my swale area and driveway. It sat there for days. This is a tree that's over 80' wide and basically blocked my entire driveway.

I then spent $800 to hire a tree company to cut up all the tree branches (some of those are 30' long) into short pieces and stacked them by the street for pickup.

Then three days ago some FEMA trucks came to pick up the logs and branches.

They use a claw thing to pick up the big branches. But now the tree has dropped ALL ITS LEAVES, I have leaves spread over everywhere. I am not talking about a small pile. I spent Thursday evening, Friday evening to rake up the leaves, and this is what I have...and I am not even close to half done.

I estimate once I have it all raked up I will have about a pile about 50' long, 8' wide, and 2' to 3' deep. That's over 30 cubic yards!

What am I supposed to do with this big pile of leaves? The cities don't deal with anything besides branches and logs. It's going to kill all the grass in the swale. It's already turned into a mosquito farm. I can't put them into leave bags, or trash carts, it's just too massive.

Any ideas?
miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to miamicuse For This Useful Post:
Nik333 (10-01-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2017, 04:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,244

Re: Leaves, leaves and leaves...

Pay local teens to rake & bag?
Nik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2017, 04:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik333 View Post
Pay local teens to rake & bag?
If I use 33 gallon lawn bags, which is about 4.4 CF capacity. To bag about 30 cubic yards of leave needs 180 bags. I can't set 180 bags of lawn bags outside. I can pile them somewhere and stuff one in the trash cart every week, will take 180 weeks to get rid of them all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2017, 04:31 PM   #4
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,756

In a town near me they have an old school bus converted for leaf collection. Basically it has a big vac that sucks/grinds up the leaves and deposits them in the back of the bus. Any chance there is anything like that near you? gov't or private.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 05:21 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 6,122

Find one of the areas that really got torn apart and spend half a day driving around looking at the problems those people face and the pain they are in. Then, when you return home although the leaves will still be there they won't look like such a problem.

As a good friend once said to me (he is rather wealthy) "it's only money".

Bud
mark sr likes this.
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 05:36 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 18

Up here in Minnesota, we deal with this every year during Fall. (I don't know about FL, do leaves not fall off trees down there in the Fall/Winter?)
Anyway, most cities here have compost locations where we can bring our leaves to dump for free.
I tend to do a little bit of everything. For some leaves, I will mow the leaves as mulch, and leave them on the grass, which is good for the grass.
The rest I will use a leaf blower and bag them up, and split between the garbage company and the cities compost dump.
Some of my neighbors will bag them up, and actually put the bags around the whole edge of the house. I suppose it is good insulation for the winter.
PS: Leaves compress down extremely well. What looks like an imposing amount of leaves will shrink down quite a bit when you pack them into bags.

Last edited by ScottK1; 09-30-2017 at 05:39 PM.
ScottK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 05:36 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,514

Compost it and spread it on the lawn. People pay good money for landscape companies to spread leaf compost on their grass 1 or 2 times a year around here..

Get yourself a mulching leaf vac if you dont have one already and use that to break them done then compost em...
ryansdiydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 05:58 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,042

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamicuse View Post
So after hurricane Irma, a large mature 60 year old olive tree from across the street completely uprooted and fell across the road. The city came and cleared the road, by cutting the tree trunks and pushed the logs and roots into my neighbor across the street, and all the branches into my swale area and driveway. It sat there for days. This is a tree that's over 80' wide and basically blocked my entire driveway.

I then spent $800 to hire a tree company to cut up all the tree branches (some of those are 30' long) into short pieces and stacked them by the street for pickup.

Then three days ago some FEMA trucks came to pick up the logs and branches.

They use a claw thing to pick up the big branches. But now the tree has dropped ALL ITS LEAVES, I have leaves spread over everywhere. I am not talking about a small pile. I spent Thursday evening, Friday evening to rake up the leaves, and this is what I have...and I am not even close to half done.

I estimate once I have it all raked up I will have about a pile about 50' long, 8' wide, and 2' to 3' deep. That's over 30 cubic yards!

What am I supposed to do with this big pile of leaves? The cities don't deal with anything besides branches and logs. It's going to kill all the grass in the swale. It's already turned into a mosquito farm. I can't put them into leave bags, or trash carts, it's just too massive.

Any ideas?
Why didn't you complain to the city workers that pushed the branches onto your driveway and blocked it???
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 07:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
Why didn't you complain to the city workers that pushed the branches onto your driveway and blocked it???
I wasn't there when it happened.

Besides, during the first few days after Irma, the priority was to get the road open. The tree was in the middle of the road. Yes, it did cross my mind since the tree was from the other side of the road but fell in my direction, that all the debris should be over there...but it was a total mess, everyone had no power, streets were flooded, another neighbor had an uprooted tree where the entire sewer line and sidewalk section came up with the roots, so even I was there, I probably wouldn't have complained. The tree was simply too big.

But I felt I already paid to cut up all the branches in sizes ready for removal. Now I have tons of leaves. This is not the north, a pile of leaves like this you end up with rats, snakes, skunks and mosquitoes after a few rainy days.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:04 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 898

1 match. Or a cigarette lighter if you're all new age and stuff.

It doesn't look that bad to me. If you can't burn it, use your lawnmower with a mulching blade. Maybe you can rent a professional lawnmower with mulching blades. That would take care of it in minutes. My little JD yard tractor with 2 blades would tear that up in 15-20 minutes. Once it's all ground up (you'll have to blow it back into rows or piles a few times) take a backpack blower and spread it out over your front yard.

Last edited by BIG Johnson; 09-30-2017 at 08:12 PM.
BIG Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:36 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,042

Quote:
I wasn't there when it happened.

Besides, during the first few days after Irma, the priority was to get the road open. The tree was in the middle of the road. Yes, it did cross my mind since the tree was from the other side of the road but fell in my direction, that all the debris should be over there...but it was a total mess, everyone had no power, streets were flooded, another neighbor had an uprooted tree where the entire sewer line and sidewalk section came up with the roots, so even I was there, I probably wouldn't have complained. The tree was simply too big.

But I felt I already paid to cut up all the branches in sizes ready for removal. Now I have tons of leaves. This is not the north, a pile of leaves like this you end up with rats, snakes, skunks and mosquitoes after a few rainy days.

We had a lot of trees down blocking roads also, but the city crews just pushed them to one side of the road, then a couple days later they came back and cut them up, and stacked the pieces by the road side for pickup later, in fact they are still there in most places, but traffic isn't hampered.

The eye of Irma passed only 25 miles east of me, so i know the mess it made everywhere.

Last edited by Canarywood1; 10-01-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 12:47 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 4,244

Quote:

Do you get reimbursed at all? Was there no one to hire to cut up the trees besides the tree service? Isn't olive wood valuable?The olive leaves should be 1/3 the size pretty soon as they degrade ( compost)

Get those raccoons from the other property & put them to work!
Nik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement