Lawn Weed Control In Atlanta - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2015, 08:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 30

lawn weed control in Atlanta

I have bermuda in my front yard and zoysia in my back yard. Weeds of all kind have been an increasing problem in recent years. I've had lousy results with granules, even when applying exactly as directed. Spot treating with a pump sprayer has been a game of whack a mole that I'm tired of. I fertilize on schedule and my lawn is pretty healthy, but these buggers have been really frustrating to keep up with the last couple of summers. Some of my neighbors pay "The Weed Man" a few hundred bucks a year and get good results. But being a DIYer...

Is there a really effective concentrated liquid product out there for common southern lawn weeds that I can use in a hose-end sprayer and treat the whole lawn 3-4 times per year and be done with it? Are there any formulas that the pros use that are available to homeowners? Thanks in advance for the advice!
rufuscobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2015, 03:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 7,015

These people ssrcusa.com/ (in your area) sell a very effective product called Crossbow that does it all from weeds to brush and stumps. I am not sure that is safe for bermuda and zoysia. If it is I highly recommend it. It is cheap compared to the the crap they sell at HD. Also far better than Roundup which has been reformulated.

You are going to need to read the rather long literature to safely use it it in a hose end sprayer. I just use a 2 gallon hand sprayer or a tin can for stumps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2015, 02:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,434

Do you have a "Southern States" store in your area, I find them very helpful.
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2015, 04:58 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 58

The best weed control method is usually mowing. Having said that, if you're doing all that other stuff, I assume you mow pretty regularly. It largely depends on what kind of weeds you have. Grassy weeds are physiologically similar to the lawn so they are harder to control. Pre-emergent herbicides are your only option and only for some grassy weeds but this must go down at the right time. Broadleaf weeds (not the leaf size, basically non-grassy type) are easier but not all of them.

If you have Virginia buttonweed, it will be way harder to get rid of than say dandelions. Also, hose end sprayers are notoriously inexact in the amount you're actually putting down. If your weeds are the broadleaf kind, a pump up sprayer and something with 2,4-D in it will work pretty good... again, depending on the weed species.
BradMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:27 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 30

Thanks bradmm. I do worry about the hose end sprayer applying too much or too little. Maybe I'll try to put down preemergent this year and continue spot treatment with pump sprayer. Any advice on the brand or active ingredient I should look for in the preemergent?
rufuscobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:40 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 82

I use snapshot for pre emergent.
barnabas131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:01 PM   #7

Sorry for the delay, it all depends on what you're trying to prevent from germinating. I still don't know what weeds you have but you might try going to a local nursery and asking what works best for the common problems of the area. Hopefully, you'll get someone knowledgeable.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:03 PM   #8

As for broadleaf weeds, something with 2,4-D will work on most of them. Just be sure you don't get something that is intended to kill EVERYTHING such as Roundup (glyphosate).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement