Lawn Pockmarked By Leaves - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2015, 04:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,800

Lawn Pockmarked By Leaves

Leaves have settled on my lawn leaving little bare spots under them where the grass did not get sun.

It is not practical to hand pick or rake every day let alone 3 times a day to get the leaves out of the pockmarks so the latter can get sun and regrow grass.

Anyone know of a fertilizer that can be applied so the grass will not die under the individual leaves, perhaps 100 spots by now scattered about?
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2015, 06:42 PM   #2
PE Mechanical Engineer

Rewards Points: 862

Winter is on the way. Don't worry about it. The grass will be going dormant soon if it hasn't already done so.

Certainly do not fertilize now as you'll be wasting money at best, and at worst will kill your lawn. I just run the mower over all the fall leaves and try to mulch up the leaves as best as I can, and just let them rot over the winter. A little organic for the soil.

In the late winter/early spring, as soon as the snow melts, rake up any thick patches of leaves and overseed.

It'll be fine.

Last edited by Thunder Chicken; 11-11-2015 at 06:45 PM.
Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2015, 07:58 PM   #3
PE Mechanical Engineer

Watch this, This will help:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2015, 12:22 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 176

In your area, isn't it common to reseed with Rye ever year to get a nice green lawn? I would not think a healthy lawn to be affected by few days of leaf cover, but I hear what you are saying about the days and weeks worth of raking and raking to keep the lawn clear...and how stray leaves gather first in these little dead spots exacerbating the problem.
RustNeverSleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 06:49 AM   #5
PE Mechanical Engineer

Rye works a bit further south if you're trying to keep the lawn green through the winter. In NH it will be buried in snow in perhaps a month, maybe less. We've had a warm fall but eventually everything is going to be going to sleep for the winter.

Overseeding in the fall in spring is a good idea to keep the plant numbers up to account for anything killed over the winter.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:00 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,800

Thanks for the ideas. I never thought about overseeding so I will give that a try.

My computer won't download videos to play. Takes forever and before that an error message appears.

Last edited by AllanJ; 11-12-2015 at 02:17 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement