Lawn Irrigation Problem - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2017, 03:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Lawn irrigation problem

Got a automatic lawn irrigation system with 5 zones. I noticed last week that zone 3 is not putting out as much water as usual. I suspected a loose connection at one of the irrigation heads and dug up all of them only to determine that the connections are tight. So then I thought maybe the solenoid valve (Rainbird) was not operating correctly. I removed the solenoid and checked it out and as far as I can tell it seems to work properly (I confirmed that it has resistance). I'm now wondering if I have a break in a line somewhere between the zone 3 valve and the irrigation heads but detest the idea of digging up the lines although I understand that it may come to that. Anybody out there that understands these things I would welcome some comments. Thanks.
dmoccia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2017, 08:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 818

Re: Lawn irrigation problem

If you have a broken line underground you will find it soon enough! It will come bubbling up through the ground before very long unless you have extremely sandy soil that goes very deep.
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2017, 12:24 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,251

If you can't find any soft spots or water bubbling up, you can take a metal rod and probe into the ground along the pipe's path with the system running. If you are near the leak, the probe should go in more easily and water should start bubbling up.

I had the same problem. Didn't need to probe for it though as I found it when I noticed the ground was soft and water was flowing up out of a crack in the soil.

I had installed landscape lighting and was being careful not to damage the pipe but apparently, when I pulled back the soil with the shovel, I pulled up on the pipe cracking it at coupling.
KHouse75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2017, 08:17 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4

I found the source of the leak today: water coming up at the edge of my patio. Unfortunately it means I will be removing a bunch of pavers to trace the leak down. Hoping for it to be close to the edge of the patio and not back close to the house which will mean digging up most of the patio pavers. Oh well....
dmoccia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:10 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 54

I don't know what you've got, but have you considered rerouting around your patio? Might be easier than messing with the pavers.
Flashover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement