Lawn Irrigation - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2015, 04:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 151

Lawn Irrigation

I'm looking at putting in an expensive sprinkler system, the RainBird 32ETI. Each system has two lines with 3 pop-up heads per line. Based on the size of my yard and coverage, i'm looking at 3 systems with different timer settings for each so that no two systems are running at the same time. Two systems off the back faucet from a "Y", and one off the front.

Questions:
To run these all off a single timer, I would need to run new lines, one to each system, with each line coming back to a central timer, or is there another option?

thanks,
mahjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2015, 06:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 188

Have you considered a traditional irrigation system that uses a single timer vs three kits?
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2015, 07:44 AM   #3

limited knowledge of sprinkler systems on my part....i know the RainBird 32ETI is $170, so for the sprinklers, minus renting a trencher, i could have something for ~$600. How this compares to a standard system with one controller, haven't looked at that yet, however, it seems that the controller piece is the most expensive of the configuration. I'll also have to check the cost of the individual components, tubing, pup-up heads, timer and see how stack up......

If you have any good starter places for me to go check-out, i'd appreciate the info. Literally "RainBird" is the only brand i've heard of....but then i see others in Google search, but have no knowledge of their reputation, quality, etc..

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2015, 08:42 AM   #4

Rainbird and Hunter are the two most common brands. I prefer the Rainbird heads as they are easier to adjust IMO. I get my supplies through sprinklerwarehouse.com. You'll want to get the poly tubing locally to save on shipping.

Depending upon the number of zones, a controller will run less than $100. You can also use 1 inch tubing so you can run more heads per zone. A single pop up rotor is around $7.00.

You'll need some additional parts like cinch (crimp) clamps, funny pipe to connect the heads to the lines, crimp tool and some adapters. To tie into your house plumbing you will need a backflow preventer which is around $100.

It sounds like a lot but it's essentially the same stuff that you get in the kit. Building your own system gives you more flexibility in sizing and you'll have the tools needed for future repairs.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:48 AM   #5

Sprinklerwarehouse.com, i see they have a "Sprinkler School" (which i need). Thanks!

Also....have you used, or know of anyone that has used the RainBird Design Service?...is it good, or overkill?
Old 06-01-2015, 10:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahjohn View Post
Sprinklerwarehouse.com, i see they have a "Sprinkler School" (which i need). Thanks!

Also....have you used, or know of anyone that has used the RainBird Design Service?...is it good, or overkill?

I have not used the design service but if it is free it can't hurt.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:08 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 344

Can you clarify when you say "each system has two lines"? Do you mean zone? Are you talking about rotor heads or traditional fixed spray heads?
drew53813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:16 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 344

Mahjohn- Sorry for responding before reading a little on this system. I see that this is a kit type install. I would recommend going with a basic custom irrigation system. I am more then happy to spend the necessary time going over the basics of lawn irrigation with you. I have quite a few years of custom installed irrigation systems. I think you can get more bang for your buck with a custom system.
drew53813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement