Lawn/driveway Drainage Issue - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree10Likes

Old 12-28-2018, 11:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Lawn/driveway drainage issue

So here is the issue Iím having. Whenever it rains the dip in my driveway fills up like a pond. The subdivisions drain is slightly past my next door neighbors house (see pic) on the other side of his driveway.

Iíve attempted to cut small trenches with no luck as it goes slightly up hill towards the drain. I have a few ideas on what can be done but Iíd like to hear what everyone else thinks first. I do not want to put a pipe on the current driveway and then concrete over it unless it is the last resort. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FixItFelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2018, 12:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,272

Re: Lawn/driveway drainage issue

That's really poor design

You could dig a big time dry well on each side there to dispense the water that way.

I have one in my backyard which the in-ground pool overflow drains into.
195795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2018, 12:29 PM   #3
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,858

I painted a whole subdivision of houses where the driveways were done like that ... .. don't guess anyone complained. I agree a dry well on each side of the apron will help, how deep/wide the dry well is will determine how much water it can hold. Water always wants to flow to the lowest point. How much water gathers in the grass swale?
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2018, 03:58 PM   #4

It gets about 6 inches deep on the concrete and just kind of sits there as it is the lowest point. It spreads out in the grass on a really bad storm and might get 3 inches deep. I was thinking of a catch basin marked as a black circle on pic, ran a few feet down the trench to a dry well. Just one because it doesnít collect on the other side of the driveway. How deep and big should one be?

Old 12-28-2018, 04:06 PM   #5
retired painter

I couldn't say how big/deep it needs to be. The size is both dependent on how much water is expected to flow into along with how well the ground percs. It doesn't hurt for it to be oversized but if it's undersized it will fill up and maybe still flood your driveway. Of course the bigger it is the more work/cost it will involve.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:17 PM   #6
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 4,222

Who allowed the builder to not install a culvert pipe system there?
At least for the portion running under each driveway.
SPS-1, u3b3rg33k and Mystriss like this.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:26 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 7,590

When I first looked at the picture, I thought you had massive ground settling. But that was done intentionally ???

I would be calling concrete contractors.
Mystriss likes this.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:31 PM   #8
retired painter

Like I said earlier, I painted a whole subdivision [100 houses] where the majority of the aprons were poured in a similar manner. That was back in the 80s.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:59 PM   #9
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 4,222

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
Who allowed the builder to not install a culvert pipe system there?
At least for the portion running under each driveway.
As far as solutions go...

I don't think I'd do more than to CUT OUT the concrete on either side of the joint (24-36" OA?)... and then drop a load of crusher run over the gap.
And I might spring for some pipe too. Well, maybe.

Last edited by TarheelTerp; 12-28-2018 at 05:03 PM.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:27 PM   #10

Lawn/driveway drainage issue

This is a new subdivision with all the houses built in the last 10 years. All of the driveways are like this except for the last one they built they decided to put a culvert and level out the concrete. I guess Iím leaning towards a dry well with the basin at the edge of the dip, running a few feet horizontally (sloped of course) into a drywell with possibly another basin on top or slightly past it.

Any ballpark prices for diy vs hiring someone to install it?

Last edited by FixItFelix; 12-28-2018 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12-29-2018, 04:28 AM   #11
retired painter

Labor prices vary greatly from one area to another. Get a few estimates, that will give you a price and whether or not you want to hire it out or diy.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:54 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 4,434

I would make a complaint at the Land Use Office.

Somebody is responsible for that.
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:49 AM   #13
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,344

Quote:
I guess Iím leaning towards a dry well with the basin at the edge of the dip, running a few feet horizontally (sloped of course) into a drywell with possibly another basin on top or slightly past it.
Ayuh,..... This is a poor band-aid approach, that only works til the rain fall equals the volume of the drywell,....
Then it backs up again,.....

The Best, Cheapest approach is to go out there, 'n Dig Out the Dam that's blockin' the water flow,......

In yer picture, you can see the dirt is higher than the concrete,......
If ya go out there with a spade shovel, 'n a stick level(the longer the better),.....
You start at the edge of the concrete, right about where the top dirt is cracked up, 'n start diggin',....
Just the width of the shovel at 1st,....
The swale bottom should be 'bout an inch below the top of the concrete, at concrete's edge, then fall away towards the catch-basin down yonder,.....
Usin' the stick level, 'n a 10' straight edge, continue diggin', so's ya got 1 inch of fall, for every 10' of travel,.....
I'm guessin' the swale will "Daylight", somewhere just past the light pole, possibly down by yer property line,....
Once the grade has been established, ya go back, 'n dig out the sides of the swale to be so gradual, as to ya don't "Notice" the swale,.....
Then scatter some grass seed, mulch, 'n wait for the new lawn to fill in with grass, insteada water,......
Dave Sal likes this.
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
FixItFelix (12-29-2018)
Old 12-29-2018, 10:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,..... This is a poor band-aid approach, that only works til the rain fall equals the volume of the drywell,....

Then it backs up again,.....

The Best, Cheapest approach is to go out there, 'n Dig Out the Dam that's blockin' the water flow,......

In yer picture, you can see the dirt is higher than the concrete,......

If ya go out there with a spade shovel, 'n a stick level(the longer the better),.....

You start at the edge of the concrete, right about where the top dirt is cracked up, 'n start diggin',....

Just the width of the shovel at 1st,....

The swale bottom should be 'bout an inch below the top of the concrete, at concrete's edge, then fall away towards the catch-basin down yonder,.....

Usin' the stick level, 'n a 10' straight edge, continue diggin', so's ya got 1 inch of fall, for every 10' of travel,.....

I'm guessin' the swale will "Daylight", somewhere just past the light pole, possibly down by yer property line,....

Once the grade has been established, ya go back, 'n dig out the sides of the swale to be so gradual, as to ya don't "Notice" the swale,.....

Then scatter some grass seed, mulch, 'n wait for the new lawn to fill in with grass, insteada water,......

Thanks for the advice everyone. I believe this is the route I will go with as it will be fool proof rather than spending the time and money on a dry well just for it to back up and have the same problem with big rains. Iím going to get with the neighbor and get him on board so we will both have a guaranteed drainage.

Only thing that is aggravating is that the closer I get to my neighbors property the higher the elevation of the dirt and it will have to be cut further down and then even wider not to have a huge ditch. First step is to call and get all the service lines identified and then I might run into another road block.

I agree that it is so annoying the builder did this to the entire neighborhood. Is there anything that can be done so they will have to come back and fix it or will it be a long drawn out process with no results? I seen somebody mentioned something in an earlier post but can anybody elaborate? We did have an HOA but it flopped and nobody has to pay the fees anymore.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:30 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,272

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixItFelix View Post
First step is to call and get all the service lines identified and then I might run into another road block.
Actually first step is to get with your town's building inspector and make sure your plan is allowed - since you are messing with drainage paths the town will be in charge of this project (might need a permit as well) - they take drainage very seriously so as to not cause an even bigger problem after you "fix" your issue.
Bondo likes this.
195795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement