Landscaping/Hardscaping Advice Need A Plan! - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes

Old 03-05-2017, 05:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 240

Landscaping/Hardscaping advice need a plan!

Ok, Here's the deal. I've lived in this house for roughly 5 years. We really haven't done much in terms of landscaping. We've planted some things in the front but that's all. I have posted several pictures that provides a walkthrough of the front yard. I've also described issues I'm having in these photos.

This is the very entrance of the driveway with my back facing the cul de sac.

Closer of the previous picture.

This is also in other pictures, below. I believe water is coming both from the top of the driveway as well as the end of the driveway and cutting across the yard.

Just an outline of a slope in front of the whole yard.

Not sure how to handle this Brush what is the best way of removing it perm and what's the best way to prevent it from coming back.

Notice the Brush on the left.

Brush

Brush

Last edited by steppinthrax; 03-05-2017 at 05:51 PM.
steppinthrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2017, 05:45 PM   #2

Re: Landscaping/Hardscaping advice need a plan!

Flower bed closest to the garage. A previous landscaper told me that it looked to crowded. He recommended pretty much removing everything from there are just putting a few things, not sure?

Flower Bed

So my thinking here is putting a stone retaining wall. Digging a trench and putting a retaining wall maybe 2 - 3 courses. This will at least make a level area here.

This is maybe the big problem. You see what water (described previously) that is coming from the driveway across the hard. I'm facing it in this picture.

This is the water path looking down on it from the driveway. There is a pipe on the end. The other side is the neighbor.

Another view.

Pipe

This is me standing on my sidewalk on the front of my house. This is a view of the slope going down. It's hard to mow here and grass dosen't really grow well.

Another view

So this whole general area is shaded in the summer, nothing grows here.

Last edited by steppinthrax; 03-05-2017 at 05:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2017, 05:45 PM   #3

Another view of the water coming down

Last edited by steppinthrax; 03-05-2017 at 05:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2017, 05:56 PM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,344

Quote:
I've also described issues I'm having in these photos.
Ayuh,.... But not very well,.....
(edit: Wow, I viewed yer album, but now ya posted the pictures, Surprised me when I clicked post)

Whatcha got in mind for the drainage swale drainin' to the right of the driveway,..??
A layer of fist sized to football sized stones a couple feet wide can look Ok, 'n slows the water, slowin' the erosion,...

For the brush along the back driveway,...
Get yerself a weedwacker bigger than 30cc's, 'n a brush-blade for it,...
Pick a spot away from anything flammable to stack, 'n burn the brush,...
Wack the brush down, stack it in yer spot, 'n on a rainy day, Torch it off, 'n have smores with the kids by the fire,...

Some of yer plantin's up tight to the house, look like it's to high, not allowin' proper drainage, Away from the foundation,....

The slopes could be flatten with retainin' walls I suppose, but I ain't a fan,...
steppinthrax likes this.

Last edited by Bondo; 03-05-2017 at 05:58 PM.
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 05:58 PM   #5

My thinking is to put some sort of dry well on that edge of the driveway and run maybe a pipe across??? Not sure the best method to handle this?
Old 03-05-2017, 06:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,.... But not very well,.....
(edit: Wow, I viewed yer album, but now ya posted the pictures, Surprised me when I clicked post)

Whatcha got in mind for the drainage swale drainin' to the right of the driveway,..??
A layer of fist sized to football sized stones a couple feet wide can look Ok, 'n slows the water, slowin' the erosion,...

For the brush along the back driveway,...
Get yerself a weedwacker bigger than 30cc's, 'n a brush-blade for it,...
Pick a spot away from anything flammable to stack, 'n burn the brush,...
Wack the brush down, stack it in yer spot, 'n on a rainy day, Torch it off, 'n have smores with the kids by the fire,...

Some of yer plantin's up tight to the house, look like it's to high, not allowin' proper drainage, Away from the foundation,....

The slopes could be flatten with retainin' walls I suppose, but I ain't a fan,...
Thanks, you posted pretty quick right when I posted. For the water problem, I was thinking of digging a huge hole and putting a dry well there? Or maybe a huge hold and filling it with stone? But I read that drywells don't do a good job. Maybe a trench and a corrugated pipe????

For the Brush, you said a weed wacker, OK... Now in terms of burning it, that is what I want to do, but the problem is controlling the burn, without burning down the neighbor's house in the process!!!!
Old 03-05-2017, 06:05 PM   #7

Quote:
My thinking is to put some sort of dry well on that edge of the driveway
Ayuh,.... It appears you'd need a drywell the size of yer house to handle that much water,....
A swale moves the water away,..... cheaply,....
The drainage catch-basin, 'n pipe ya got there now, I'd have done with a surface swale,....
A few rocks down it, 'n let the cattails grow, if they will,...
Old 03-05-2017, 06:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,.... It appears you'd need a drywell the size of yer house to handle that much water,....
A swale moves the water away,..... cheaply,....
The drainage catch-basin, 'n pipe ya got there now, I'd have done with a surface swale,....
A few rocks down it, 'n let the cattails grow, if they will,...
I googled swale a few times. You mean to dig a trench and lay fist size rocks down the trench, all the way to the pipe? A rock trench cutting across the entire yard?
Old 03-05-2017, 06:12 PM   #9

Quote:
For the Brush, you said a weed wacker, OK... Now in terms of burning it, that is what I want to do, but the problem is controlling the burn, without burning down the neighbor's house in the process!!!!
Just pick a spot, off the blacktop driveway, away from yer house, preferably down-wind,...
Maybe right on the hill by the wheelbarrow,...
Throw down a little pile of brush, 'n light it,....
Ya don't wanta burn it All at once,...
Build a small fire, 'n expand it as yer comfortable,...
Just keep cuttin' up the brush, 'n sticks, tossin' 'em onto yer fire,...
The grass will grow back later with a little time, 'n/ or seed,...
Old 03-05-2017, 06:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinthrax View Post
I googled swale a few times. You mean to dig a trench and lay fist size rocks down the trench, all the way to the pipe? A rock trench cutting across the entire yard?
If ya didn't already have the pipe there, Ya,...
Ya don't need much diggin',...
Ya got great pitch, 'n a water path there now,...
That's what a swale is, a continuosly fallin' grade to funnel water, Away from where ya don't want it,...
Many to most swales aren't even visible to folks not lookin' for it,...
Old 03-05-2017, 06:24 PM   #11

One other thing is I live in Maryland. So you can get an example of the precipitation. I was looking at rain gardens and if I put plants down there that "drink water", they might not have enough to drink!!
Old 03-06-2017, 12:17 PM   #12

Quote:
I was looking at rain gardens and if I put plants down there that "drink water", they might not have enough to drink!!
Which is why I suggested cattails, they can live flooded, or pretty dry,....
Also, the swale could drop into a flatter area, then continue further away, causin' a wetter spot for such plants,....
Old 03-17-2017, 02:34 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 134

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinthrax View Post
Ok, Here's the deal. I've lived in this house for roughly 5 years. We really haven't done much in terms of landscaping. We've planted some things in the front but that's all. I have posted several pictures that provides a walkthrough of the front yard. I've also described issues I'm having in these photos.

This is the very entrance of the driveway with my back facing the cul de sac.

This is also in other pictures, below. I believe water is coming both from the top of the driveway as well as the end of the driveway and cutting across the yard.

Just an outline of a slope in front of the whole yard.

Not sure how to handle this Brush what is the best way of removing it perm and what's the best way to prevent it from coming back.

Notice the Brush on the left.

Brush

Brush

Hi Friend!

WOW! this is really nice place and you can make many things on there. Update your front yard or backyard design with shrubbery, gardens, walkways, and more.
harrisong35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:20 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 84

I like the idea of the retaining wall.

Can you just put 2-3 french drains and call it a day?

I really don't see much you have to change. The planters are already established. Just change the plants if you don't like them.

You've got a beautiful house - if you don't want to spend any money I don't think you need to. I think the drainage is your biggest issue but also it looks like you have a totally easy trench line there to get drainage into underground pipes.
bondra76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:41 AM   #15
Engineer

Rewards Points: 182

Beautiful place.

You have many projects which should be considered independently and when possible, combined as long as each accomplishes the objective.

First thing that came to mind is that long beautiful driveway. It should be flanked both sides with something - anything. It could be azaleas, boxwoods, dogwoods, etc. Something; anything.

Next the flower beds at the building. Those boxwoods are way overgrown. they have never been maintained. They should all be either removed or cut so that none of them are close to the window sills. Some properly spaced boxwoods complimented by something that flowers would be nice there. Maybe a few rows of tulips in front of them or annuals so you can change it up each year for some variety.

Retaining wall - that's a huge hill you have there as you go to the right in the picture. I understand about it being hard to mow and get grass to grow and thrive. The cost will be tremendous. It would look best in either the same brick that the house is made of or stone, but not a dissimilar brick.

Brush is self-explanatory. Easiest is get a crew of undocumented workers in there for a day and make them take it away with them. Have someone run a root rake through there (an attachement on heavy equipment) and lay sod or plant grass. Keep it mowed.

Water flowing - I tried to tell how far from the retaining wall the problem is but it's hard to tell from the pictures. If you change the grade in that area you'll lose the trees. There is a product called geoweb which we use for high slope stabilization. You can consider that. Some of that and some top soil to flatten the grade and sod over top. Flatten out the grade somewhat and it will reduce scour because it will spread the water out over a larger area.

That's my $0.02.
Again, very nice place.
Enjoy it.

PS: I grew up in Funky Pasadena. Not sure what part of MD you are in. Beautiful area.
(239) 848-6675
MikeFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement