Landscaping & Drainage Suggestions To Prevent Flooding - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By stick\shift
  • 1 Post By Drachenfire

Old 07-31-2018, 09:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 40

Landscaping & Drainage Suggestions to Prevent Flooding

Hi All,

Would appreciate any suggestions on how I can landscape this and handle my drainage water/run off issues that are flooding the porch.

Here is a link to several pictures:
https://imgur.com/gallery/SSmbwPl

You can see how the surrounding landscape is pretty bare and slopes towards the house. Im thinking channel drains will need to be put in along the entire porch perimeter.

Would planting more vegetation in this area help to absorb more water? Mulch wont work to cover the area, or every time it rains it will be all over the porch.

Just need some ideas on how to tackle this thanks.
JBG420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2018, 09:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,170

Re: Landscaping & Drainage Suggestions to Prevent Flooding

Water flows downhill. The best method is to make the house uphill. Swails and channels can help.
Bondo likes this.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2018, 09:43 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 20,208

It looks like a slopes to the road and the back also.
You could dig a trench for a drain pipe and run it one way or the other.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2018, 09:46 PM   #4
RRH

Rewards Points: 1,332

Pretty simple. Just need a spot in back of yard that is lower.
Dig a ditch about 12" deep around perimeter of problem area next to porch that runs downhill to a lower area.
Lay the cheap drain tile pipe in ditch and cover with gravel. Then mulch on top of that if you wish.
RRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 05:47 AM   #5
Big Dog

Rewards Points: 3,982

RRH has a good idea. Considering the angle of the slope, I would also install 2 or3 catch basins along the wall at the bottom to expedite moving the water away from the house.

I did something similar in my back yard due to flooding.

My back yard slopes towards the house (not as steep as yours). When it rained, the area around the sliding glass door would flood.

To mitigate this, I dug a 18” deep trench. It begins at the downspout on the high end, runs past the back door where the slope bottoms out, continues past the downspout on the low end and on down to the lowest part of the property.

In the trench, a 4-inch drain pipe was laid and connected to the high end downspout. It runs to the back door area and is connected to a 12”x12” catch basin. A pipe leaves the catch basin runs for about 5 feet to another 12”x12” catch basin. From that basin, a pipe runs to the lower end of the house where that downspout is tied into it. From that point a sleeved perforated pipe runs all the way to the lowest end of the property where a pop-up diverter is attached.

The trench was covered with about 6-inchs of gravel and then filled in with dirt and the top re-seeded.

This system was installed about 5 - 6 years ago and continues to function perfectly.
de-nagorg likes this.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm," and the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."
Drachenfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:04 PM   #6

Thanks for the tips. Working up a plan now and ill post back a diagram for feedback - to make sure I dont do all this labor for it not to work.

One question i have is on how to pitch the channel drain. Ive got a 24 foot span yhat I want the channel drain to cover. About 12 feet of that I want level-ish, so a car could still drive onto the covered porch of necessary. Is it ok for a channel drain being driven over to be pitched or how would I install so it is pirched correctly but wont get damaged if driven over?
Old 08-05-2018, 09:01 PM   #7

Nevermind on the pitch question. Duh...channel drains can drain from the bottom. Anyway, NDS says to bury their 5" channel in 4" of cement on both sides and underneath. Given i already have a concrete porch, will I install the drain directly against the existing porch and add 4" concrete in front of drain...or pour an additional 4" between the extsting porch and the drain?
Old 08-05-2018, 09:33 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,468

Use water to determine the slope needed. Pic #1- dig a trench from the porch in the direction you would like the water to drain. For testing purposes it needn't be more than a couple inches wide.

How deep does the trench needs to be at the end opposite the starting point for good drainage is what you should be looking for. When you believe you have enough slope then double that.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement