Landscape/Hardscape Fabrics - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-23-2015, 04:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 629

Landscape/Hardscape fabrics

I will be hardscaping with river stone about 2" stones in size. I'm seeing both Woven Fabric & Polypropylene fabrics. I'm not sure which is the better fabric to use under the river stone. Can someone tell me which is the better to use under the river stone. I want something that is going to last & not be torn up from the river stone. What are my choices & what should I look for in fabric thickness, etc. Thanks for the advice.
maddog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2015, 04:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,170

I used plastic under mine - do you want to divert water or allow it through the fabric?
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2015, 05:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 17,912

I do not use any fabric.
Weeds will still grow right through or on top of even driveway cloth, (silt screen)
The cloth just makes it harder to remove them.
Just remove all the top soil any any organic material, spray the area with total vegatation killer and lay the stone.
One a year add some Preen to help stop new weeds from growing.
Bondo (03-24-2015), maddog1 (03-23-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2015, 06:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick\shift View Post
I used plastic under mine - do you want to divert water or allow it through the fabric?
I need water to drain through. My experience with plastic sheeting has always turned out bad. I don't believe it is intended for such use & it falls apart or decays over a short period of time. Thanks!
Old 03-23-2015, 06:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I do not use any fabric.
Weeds will still grow right through or on top of even driveway cloth, (silt screen)
The cloth just makes it harder to remove them.
Just remove all the top soil any any organic material, spray the area with total vegatation killer and lay the stone.
One a year add some Preen to help stop new weeds from growing.
I am not sure I want to risk having no barrier. Yes, it can be difficult to remove weed growth from the fabric, but pulling a weed here & there is far easier to do. Down here, we have red clay soil. The soil here is like concrete. It is almost impossible to remove deep weed roots & I'm not so sure I want to spend my time spreading around pre emergence weed killer hoping it will control the weeds. Thanks!
Old 03-23-2015, 06:40 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 4,170

The fabric is to keep the soil and rock/mulch from mixing together, not necessarily to keep weeds from growing - as Joe said, they can grow just fine in the rocks.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:09 PM   #7
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,538

Heavy black polyethylene plastic will prevent weeds from growing thru. But you also get no drainage thru. Six mil or thicker will work. Builders often use it under their wood decks to prevent weed growth.
Yodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
Heavy black polyethylene plastic will prevent weeds from growing thru. But you also get no drainage thru. Six mil or thicker will work. Builders often use it under their wood decks to prevent weed growth.
Thanks. I think I have found what I'm looking for in a commercial professional grade of ground cover that will do the job. at Greenhouse Megastore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement