Landscape Design Software - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2015, 01:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,038

Landscape design software

Hello to all.

Is there any good landscape design software that you can recommend? Also, how does the software work and what information do I need to be able to provide?

We know exactly where we need all of our plants to go [areas for landscaping] and a good list of the types of plants we like, but we just do not know all of the orders or what plant complements others when they start to grow and fill-in.

Thank you very much & Happy Easter to all,
tstex
tstex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2015, 06:40 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 18

If you're going to do this yourself then I wouldn't worry too much about getting any landscape design software. CAD takes a bit of time to learn and I'd say it's just a waste of your time, since I doubt you'll be doing another garden anytime soon after this!

Instead, what I'd do is just grab a big sheet of paper and do a birds-eye view layout of how you want the garden. Don't think about plant combinations for now, just throw it all onto paper. (in pencil so you can edit)

Then what you'll want to do is just research the different plant combinations. Check out this link: http://www.ghorganics.com/page2.html

If you're just planting mainly shrubs and the such like then you probably shouldn't worry too much. Just errr on the side of caution when it comes to spacing is my suggestion.

Good luck
Bloxxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2015, 03:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 533

Echo the other poster. Trying to get an accurate topography into these packages --- the starting point -- is not easy. Make an accurate pencil drawing, make sure to include the sun exposure (note where otherwise sunny areas are in shade due to trees, buildings. etc.)

Hours of sunlight is going to be the most important determinant in the plant material you choose for your zone.

Take your drawing to a large, reputable nursery, and you'll get plenty of suggestions.
Curmudgeon10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2015, 06:56 PM   #4

Thanks for your replies.

I agree, but I already bought a good software package that is feature rich, but will take a lot of ramp up time. It will determine what plants will grow well in what zones, growth rates, water & sun requirements and tons more. You can even move the growth rate curve based on time & it will show you a 3D image of what the plants, scrubs, etc will look like after X mo's or yrs. You can even import a picture of your yard/ house and start adding your mix of plants. There are 3500 diff plants in all 1-12 US growing zones.

Now, that's all the benefits of the package. The tough part is getting to know how to run the software. I still have not been able to get my arms around it w work & all.

Thanks again,
Tstex
Old 04-11-2015, 07:13 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 6

What software? I stumbled across some free software online you can draw out a floor plan and outdoor plan..

Anyone have any free software suggestions or websites?

Sent from my iPhone
Aaron1085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:08 PM   #6

It's not free, it's 99 for a single user license. But, you get what you pay for, or not what you do not pay for.

Here is the website info:

*Chief Architect Software
6500 N Mineral Dr.
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho 83815
www.homedesignersoftware.com

Look under the Landscaping & Deck icon

Tstex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement