Kill A Tree Of Heaven - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2011, 09:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

kill a tree of heaven

I had a tree of heaven (alanthus) cut down and now it is spouting new trees out of the roots and stump and it even spouted a new shoot out of a cut log waiting to dry to burn after a month of being cut down. I have tried round up - no effect and I don't want to do diesel or kerosine, I have well for water. I just tried iron fillings on the advice of the tree guy that cut it down, if this doesn't work what else can I do to kill it?
cep89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2011, 10:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 22

I have the same problem with 2 walnut and 2 Siberian Elm trees I had cut down last summer. They're sprouting new trees.

I was told that once the stumps are ground down, it will quit happening.
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2011, 09:50 AM   #3

I did it wrong I should have killed the tree first and then cut it down. I did more research on nps.gov/plants. they have a cut stump method of killing it, so I don't want to grind out the stump and lose my access point to the root system until it's dead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2011, 10:55 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 22

That's good to know.
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

I don't know where my post is, but I asked a similar question a while ago.
I had a piece of property that had many of these problem trees. Through research and experimentation, I discovered most of these trees come from the root system of the "mother tree". You must find the mother tree, remove and drill some 1/2" or larger holes in the stump. Fill with as much Roundup as possible and it is supposed to kill all feeding smaller trees. It is sometimes referred to as "injection kill". I would also suggest a plastic cover over the stump.
I am sorry to say that I really do not know the results from my actions because that was at a property that was sold nearly two years ago. I could contact the new owners or drive by and let you know.
And BTW---There are cautions about cutting these trees up. You can receive a serious heart condition if any of the sap comes into contact with an open wound
Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Giles For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (07-25-2011)
Old 07-27-2011, 02:35 PM   #6

I am doing the injection kill with super concentrated roundup ($115.00 per gallon) and it's working, no more new trees starting out of the roots in the yard. I plan to keep going for the rest of the summer or until I run out of chemical.
The Following User Says Thank You to cep89 For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (07-27-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement