Keep Birds From Eating Grass Seed?? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By chandler48
  • 1 Post By BIG Johnson
  • 1 Post By Joeycarnuba

Old 10-11-2017, 01:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 310

Keep birds from eating grass seed??

I have been trying to grow some grass in a few areas of my back yard. some places have been successful, and a few the birds seem to scatter the top soil and dig for the seeds making it remain bare. I put a couple bird feeders a ways out, and seems to occupy them, but what tricks have been used to grow the seed?
KPDMinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2017, 03:28 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 4,294

Re: Keep birds from eating grass seed??

We use wheat straw scattered lightly on top of the grass seed area. NOT hay, but wheat straw. Hay is technically anything a cow will eat along with the adjoining weeds. Wheat straw is collected after the seeds are harvested so you get very little seed action other than what you plant.
mark sr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2017, 03:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,294

Pennington has grass seed that has a coating that keeps birds from eating it.
Nik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2017, 04:36 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 7,580

... or buy sod. Much faster, and you don't get a bunch of weeds coming up with the grass.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:02 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 898

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPDMinc View Post
I have been trying to grow some grass in a few areas of my back yard. some places have been successful, and a few the birds seem to scatter the top soil and dig for the seeds making it remain bare. I put a couple bird feeders a ways out, and seems to occupy them, but what tricks have been used to grow the seed?
I was always told you just gave to put down more seed than the birds can eat. A slit seeder will deposit the seed underground so it's unlikely the birds will find it. Too late now though cuz they're already on to you.
Nik333 likes this.
BIG Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:07 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 26

Do what my redneck dad did years ago. Shoot one of the birds, and hang it by one of its legs dangling over the seeded area. Worked like a charm!
Has the added side effect that it might make your neighbours think twice about messing with you too! Lol
Enduroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:34 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enduroma View Post
Do what my redneck dad did years ago. Shoot one of the birds, and hang it by one of its legs dangling over the seeded area. Worked like a charm!
Has the added side effect that it might make your neighbours think twice about messing with you too! Lol
haha - good one... but, my neighbors dont eat my grass seed... LOL - anyway, I ended up using the real burlap method to cover said areas, i believe it is supposed to decompose when the grass grows through. Guess we'll see...
KPDMinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:25 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 122

I usually just sow way more seed than the bag recommends. I retain a little seed in the bag and two or three weeks after the grass pops up I sprinkle more seed in the bare areas to fill it in.

If I get too many birds, I take the "red-neck" approach and get out the pellet gun.

Covering the seed with a thin (1/4") layer of topper will definitely increase the growth rate and you'll have grass before the birds even realize the seed is there.
Dave Sal likes this.
Joeycarnuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement