Jawsaw Or Clearing Saw? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By lenaitch
  • 1 Post By BigJim
  • 1 Post By ZTMAN

Old 05-09-2019, 10:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 629

Jawsaw or clearing saw?

I have a lot of "stubs" about one foot tall sticking up from the ground left from cutting down a lot of saplings about 1-5" in dia. I need to flush cut these stubs close to the ground so I can pass over them with my mower deck & also not to trip over them when walking the area.

I was going to buy a Clearing saw, but they are expensive-around $500. Then I'm thinking maybe I could do the job with a cordless Jaw saw like the one from Worx or B&D' Alligator. They should get me close to the ground & a lot less in cost. Jawsaw would require me to either bend over or get on my knees to get flush with the ground, while a clearing saw would allow me to stand up & move along rather quickly since it is almost like using a weed wacker. Any advise for me? Thanks.
maddog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2019, 11:45 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,378

Re: Jawsaw or clearing saw?

How about a reciprocating saw?

I've a corded and a battery powered one. Both can hold a 6-8" pruning blade that makes short work of branches.
bob22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2019, 12:33 PM   #3
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,182

Or you could take them out completely using a grub hoe, pulaski or even a sharp spade to cut the roots. Depending on the species, if they send out runners they may come back.
Bondo and Msradell like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2019, 01:01 PM   #4
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 1,658

I bought one of these in the photo and then a carbide blade that fits, it does a really good job cutting the smaller stubs close to the ground. It will cut a 2 or so inch stub with no trouble.
Attached Images

Bondo likes this.

Lawyers believe a man is innocent until proven broke.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
I bought one of these in the photo and then a carbide blade that fits, it does a really good job cutting the smaller stubs close to the ground. It will cut a 2 or so inch stub with no trouble.

OK- that would work if I can attach it to my split shaft Husqvarna weed trimmer. So where do I get one-Lowe's? Thanks
Old 05-09-2019, 03:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
How about a reciprocating saw?

I've a corded and a battery powered one. Both can hold a 6-8" pruning blade that makes short work of branches.

That could work for me. But I'm out four acres. I have one but it's 120 volt. I would have to buy a cordless one & I'm not really wanting to do that expense if I can avoid it. But I will consider it. It might be the way I will need to go on this, & it should be cheaper than a full blown clearing saw.
Thanks
Old 05-09-2019, 04:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenaitch View Post
Or you could take them out completely using a grub hoe, pulaski or even a sharp spade to cut the roots. Depending on the species, if they send out runners they may come back.

I've got about two acres of property line with these sapling stubs. Grub ho, spade, I don't think so. But thank you.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:55 PM   #8
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,342

Quote:
Ayuh,..... I ain't bein' the dummy here, but I had to google Jawsaw,......

Now I know why,..... it's something I'd never buy,.....

I've got a bush saw like Jim's here for my Stihl weedwacker,....

Put a carbide tooth saw blade on it, 'n like Jim says, 1" brush is an instant cut,....
2" I might hit it twice,....
Bigger than 2", I grab a chainsaw,.....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
maddog1 (05-10-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 06:56 PM   #9
Ole Wood Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog1 View Post
I've got about two acres of property line with these sapling stubs. Grub ho, spade, I don't think so. But thank you.
I got my saw for our weed eater at Lowe's, but one blade won't last for two acres, also it won't work on a battery powered weed eater. It would be much better with a gas powered weed eater.

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
maddog1 (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 09:42 AM   #10

Quote:
I got my saw for our weed eater at Lowe's, but one blade won't last for two acres, also it won't work on a battery powered weed eater. It would be much better with a gas powered weed eater.
Thanks. I've got a Husqvarna weed eater gas powered that I think will power up the shaft & saw blade. I will check it out. I also have a Sthil Kombie tool power head gas engine. This head takes various attachments. But I talked to my Sthil dealer & Sthil does not make a clearing saw set up for it because they say clearing saws need a solid rod drive shaft to properly run the blade.

I can understand the engineering behind it. Frankly, Sthil is correct on this point. That's one of the reasons that trimmers which are dedicated to clear cut saw blade heads cost so much. Having said all this I will probably end up buying the same attachment you have from Lowes & see what happens? I don't mind buying replacement blades. It's the tool itself & my power head I worry about. Thanks!
Old 05-10-2019, 04:33 PM   #11
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,342

Quote:
I can understand the engineering behind it. Frankly, Sthil is correct on this point. That's one of the reasons that trimmers which are dedicated to clear cut saw blade heads cost so much. Having said all this I will probably end up buying the same attachment you have from Lowes & see what happens? I don't mind buying replacement blades. It's the tool itself & my power head I worry about.
Ayuh,.... My Stihl is a combi unit, don't remember the model number, not the cheapest, but not a Pro unit either,.....

It took alittle modifyin', but I use all the attachments I acquired for my ole Craftsman combi unit that I had for years,.....

The attachments fit the Stihl, but tightly,.....

Ain't had any problems with either units driveline, the ole 32cc Craftsman's motor just wore out,....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:55 PM   #12
Ole Wood Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog1 View Post
Thanks. I've got a Husqvarna weed eater gas powered that I think will power up the shaft & saw blade. I will check it out. I also have a Sthil Kombie tool power head gas engine. This head takes various attachments. But I talked to my Sthil dealer & Sthil does not make a clearing saw set up for it because they say clearing saws need a solid rod drive shaft to properly run the blade.

I can understand the engineering behind it. Frankly, Sthil is correct on this point. That's one of the reasons that trimmers which are dedicated to clear cut saw blade heads cost so much. Having said all this I will probably end up buying the same attachment you have from Lowes & see what happens? I don't mind buying replacement blades. It's the tool itself & my power head I worry about. Thanks!
I am using my saw blade attachment on an electric weed eater and it is doing fine so far. It does have a pretty good torque when you pull the trigger.

I had a Sthil weed eater back in the late 90s that I gave over $500 for it back then. Don't remember the model but it had a 10 saw blade and that machine cut anything you hit with it.

Jim
Old 05-11-2019, 05:49 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 340

I agree that the attachment for the string trimmer is the way to go.

My father, age 84, bought a Worx Jaw Saw. They serve there purpose, but are not for any hard use IMO. I view them as a novelty tool targeted to the people that need to cut a few branches every now and then.
BigJim likes this.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:04 PM   #14
Alex

Rewards Points: 36

How Many are you talking about here? I've been (slowly) clearing saplings with a comealong with a hook, just pulling them out completely. Need something solid to tie other end on, but it is easy after figuring out. Wrap strap around tree, attach comealong, hook into bottom roots and make strap right length to not have to ratchet much, ratchet comealong.

Pro version: hook up a $120 winch
AlWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement