Irrigation Issue/question - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2018, 10:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 744

Irrigation issue/question

Hi there,

I have a quick question and I hope that I explain my situation clearly.

I had a sprinkler head on one side of my driveway that was watering the grass on the opposite side of the driveway. In the sketch below, this sprinkler head is represented by the red circle. As you can imagine, it mostly watered my driveway, and last year a new sprinkler head was placed on the correct side of the driveway (represented by the white circle), and the old sprinkler head was removed and plugged.

The irrigation guy simply put some sort of rubber stopper where the old head was.

When I blew out my lines last fall, this rubber stopper came flying off and water starting gushing out of the pipe.

Now that Spring is around the corner, should I simply have some sort of new stopper installed where the old head was, or should I cut off the water supply on the “green” side of the driveway so that no water is entering the pipe that runs underneath the driveway.

Since the old head is located at the end of the line, my concern is that any water left in the lines beneath the driveway could possibly spring a leak over the winter. Is this a possibility?

Also, for what it’s worth, the other sprinkler heads that are part of this zone are located on the opposite side of the house (zone 3). The sprinkler heads on the left side of the driveway in front of the house are on zone 4. Therefore, even if I were to plug the line on the left side of the driveway, I would still have water reaching that spot with nowhere to go. Is this a concern?

Thanks for your help.
Attached Images

harpua728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2018, 04:24 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,944

Re: Irrigation issue/question

Odd that your sprinkler guy could not have installed the proper spray head on the red circle unit. We had them at work that would sit 3 inches away from beside the sidewalks/drives and spray the lawns, and only get a mist of water on the edge of the concrete.

So if you are going to abandon the head in red, then you will have to go to your control manifold and turn the water off to that line or it will freeze. Might as well unwire the control solenoid for it also, as unless it can de-programmed on the timer, it will just be getting energized for no reason. This way, you will have one spare working control solenoid on hand.

And all of my post here is contingent on that NO other needed heads are on the "red circle head" zone line. JMO
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2018, 05:31 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 7,584

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpua728 View Post
Since the old head is located at the end of the line, my concern is that any water left in the lines beneath the driveway could possibly spring a leak over the winter. Is this a possibility?
Seems like a valid concern, if its at the end of the line.

Not sure what "stopper" he put in there. But you can get all sorts of fittings for irrigation pipe --- elbows, tees, straight connectors etc and I expect "cap" is also available. Should be just as reliable as every other connection in your system if he used the correct plug and installed it correctly.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2018, 05:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
Seems like a valid concern, if its at the end of the line.

Not sure what "stopper" he put in there. But you can get all sorts of fittings for irrigation pipe --- elbows, tees, straight connectors etc and I expect "cap" is also available. Should be just as reliable as every other connection in your system if he used the correct plug and installed it correctly.
I believe it was some sort of rubber cap. He also capped another head on a different zone, and that had no issues when I blew out the line. Regardless, I'm going to have to fix this shortly but don't know what the best method is. If I have it capped again (properly this time), is that a viable solution? Is it bad for water to be running to a capped head at the end of a line?
Old 03-14-2018, 05:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsoldtruck79 View Post
Odd that your sprinkler guy could not have installed the proper spray head on the red circle unit. We had them at work that would sit 3 inches away from beside the sidewalks/drives and spray the lawns, and only get a mist of water on the edge of the concrete.

So if you are going to abandon the head in red, then you will have to go to your control manifold and turn the water off to that line or it will freeze. Might as well unwire the control solenoid for it also, as unless it can de-programmed on the timer, it will just be getting energized for no reason. This way, you will have one spare working control solenoid on hand.

And all of my post here is contingent on that NO other needed heads are on the "red circle head" zone line. JMO
Im not sure if there are other heads on that zone line. I assume, but don't know for sure, that the same line that feeds the rest of zone 3 "below" the house in my sketch, continue on to where the red head was. FYI, the main control panel is to the left of the house in the sketch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement