Irrigation Heads Broken - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tstex

Old 04-05-2017, 08:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,038

irrigation heads broken

Hello to All,

About 50% of all the irrigation heads along the driveway are damaged. By damaged, when the water pressure is applied, water just flows up out of the riser like it was coming from a water hose. So basically the nozzles are broken off/split/etc.

Since these are all likely of being run over by car tires, can you pls help me in deciding what needs to be replaced? Is it just the nozzles? Or, the whole body which includes all the parts? All of these have the 180 degree settings. The make is rain-bird I believe.

If there is anything I need to do to first troubleshoot, pls let know.

Finally, 3 of the sprinklers are the normal size where the riser pop out of the head just about the same height of the grass, and on one zone. The other one, the riser pops up about 9-12" from the head and waters a combination of grass and a flower bed, and it's on another zone. All the nozzles are continuous solid spray set a 180 degrees.

Thank you very much,
tstex
tstex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2017, 08:46 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,344

Re: irrigation heads broken

Quote:
If there is anything I need to do to first troubleshoot, pls let know.
Ayuh,.... I'd think that until ya dig 'em up, 'n see exactly what's broken, you'll have no idea as to what to buy for replacements,...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2017, 11:14 AM   #3

Ok...I Pretty much knew I was going to have to do that, but I was trying to determine if by my description, was there an obvious explanation: ie, damaged or lost nozzle.

I will dig them up either later tonight or tomorrow am and post back - THanks Bondo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2017, 09:53 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 824

If they are more than a few years old there's no sense in trying to repair them. New heads like that are only about 10 or $15 each. Here's a site that I found to be the best out there for buying parts. http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/La...rts-s/7728.htm
Old 04-06-2017, 05:08 AM   #5

Thanks M-Dell...these were installed in about May 2015, so they are not that old, but I surely wish to dig these up only once...thanks for the website- tstex
Old 04-06-2017, 07:53 AM   #6
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 642

Digging them up is too much like work. Just replace the internals.

rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:35 PM   #7

ok, I turned on the water, marked the 3 bad heads, then did my digging.

The (2) 4" pop-ups had both of the nozzles sheared off. I called the installer to determine install type [screw on or flex pipe] and he said flex pipe. This is also how the 12" pop-up is installed too. The 12" nozzle was also sheared off. [I have a high school daughter driver and she learned this from her mother.

The make was Hunter Pro Spray - when I called the installer, he said to just replace the whole thing. That's when I found out that HD on had the bottom screw on type vs the body-style where the flex line comes into the side. HD only had the screw on from the bottom.

So, I bought the screw on types and the adapters. Went to dig up the broken ones, and found that I could screw off the tops., then I took out the guts. OPen the new ones, took out the guts and placed in the old ones and screwed on the whole thing...Presto - no deep digging or body replacement. I adjusted the spray heads and in business.

HD did not have the 12" pop-up, so I'm going to an irrigation store for that and I am also just going to replace the guts.

If anyone can tell me this will cause problems or something later, pls advise.

Oh yes, I took the bodies of the new heads and placed one each on my daughters dresser and my wife bathroom vanity. if they break these again, I made a note on what they will have to be digging up. If I cannot post here anymore bc my funeral service is next week, I'll have a friend of mine post back here to let you know that was not a good idea
firehawkmph likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement