Input On When To Put Down New Seed - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2017, 01:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 191

Input on when to put down new seed

Good afternoon,

Location - Shelton, CT

Seed - tri rye rye/fescue cold region blend

situation - having back and side yard graded and getting about 20 yards of fresh screened top soil and nicely york raked.

this is happening next thursday, march 9th. my question to you is how soon can i put down seed and start watering?

i know i have to wait until the freezing temps stop, but do i really need to?

would like to get seed and shredded straw down as quick as possible
rygar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2017, 10:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 824

Re: Input on when to put down new seed

It all depends on what the weather is doing in your area however I would think that around the middle of March should be a good time to seed in your area. Your best that would be to check with your local agricultural service, they know your area better than anybody else does. Also, they will do it soil test, usually for free to tell you what kind of fertilizer and other additives are best for your soil.
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2017, 01:34 AM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 34

Cool season grass such as Fescue, germinate best when the soil temperatures are between 50 and 65 degrees F. These soil temperatures usually occur when the daytime air temperatures are between 60 and 75 degrees.

Stolen from google
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2017, 10:37 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 806

I use a local website, but I'm sure you can find something for your region...try looking up 4" soil temp maps. This gives you an idea how warm the soil is which is a better indication of germination than air temp. You probably need to wait till you have consistent temps in the upper 50/60s. Although, I've put seed down on top of snow before in my pasture and it eventually works down into the soil and will germinate, so it's possible to place it as soon as you get the regrading done.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:39 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 806

Quote:
Originally Posted by cibula11 View Post
I use a local website, but I'm sure you can find something for your region...try looking up 4" soil temp maps. This gives you an idea how warm the soil is which is a better indication of germination than air temp. You probably need to wait till you have consistent temps in the upper 50/60s. Although, I've put seed down on top of snow before in my pasture and it eventually works down into the soil and will germinate, so it's possible to place it as soon as you get the regrading done.
Freezing temps won't kill the seed, just make sure you don't use any reemergent herbicides like crabgrass preventer....it prevents all seeds from germinating.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:52 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 191

thanks for all the great input. main reason for this is i want to drop the seed and shredded hay for not only the grass, but to prevent erosion from rain. spending lots of cash on fresh top soil, dont want it literally draining away
rygar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:24 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 40

If you need to reseed in the future the Fall (September) is the best time
gapotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement