I Need Help With My Lawn! - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes

Old 08-20-2017, 06:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12
Unhappy

I need help with my lawn!

I get dead patches of lawn and then I put fresh topsoil and have used several types of seed. After the new grass comes in nicely, and it comes in very quickly, the patches start turning yellow and then brown and quickly end up dying where I can just pull up a bunch of it! Everyone surmised I had some sort of insect feeding on the fresh roots. We have no grubs, but still use Trazicide, which kills over 200 lawn pests, including grubs. Any ides why these new patches can't stay healthy when almost all of the rest of the lawn is fine???
deanc492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2017, 08:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,186

Re: I need help with my lawn!

Welcome to the froums deanc.

click on the link for some tips. Hope you get the lawn green again soon.

https://www.spring-green.com/lawn-ca...-lawn-disease/
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2017, 10:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,170

Soil test is my first thought. After that I would need more information from you like rain, watering, gutters, dogs, ....
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2017, 06:31 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,989

Newish home? Big rocks or concrete dump near the surface with less than 6" of soil? Chemical spill or bad soil (alkaline or excessive acidity)? Under or near a heavy feeding tree? Failure to water after the grass is up?

The list goes on but those are the bigger ones.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:24 AM   #5

Thanks so much for the responses, guys! I will do a soil test, but can't figure out why grass is so nice in most areas and just having a hard time with new seeded areas...I would have thought that if I had soil problems, it would be more universal and affecting more of the rest of the lawn...Also, this is brand new Scotts topsoil in every area, too...
Old 08-21-2017, 03:09 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 576

Do your sprinkler heads throw water enough to meet and overlap.... the surrounding heads ?
Cedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:20 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 7,492

That sounds like grubs, but if its not grubs, it also sounds like it is dying from lack of water.

When do you plant the grass? Spring, Summer ? Could be that the root system was not very well established when the summer heat came in. Maybe that new topsoil does not retain water very well.

Where are you located ? Probably wait for it to cool down a little then repair with sod. That way, it should have plenty of time to establish itself before the summer heat.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 04:49 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 6,989

New grass or patches require more water and more regular than established lawns. The roots need to develop so reduce water gradually. I hand water daily until it is an inch tall, then every other day (or three depending on conditions) until it is mowed at least 3 times.

Don't mow it the first time until it is 3" tall.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:21 AM   #9

Thanks so much for all the great advise! It's been two weeks today that I planted it all and some is still coming up. If the areas don't end up filling in properly, then I will have a soil sample done. I'm giving the lawn plenty of water and there are no grubs to be found. Maybe I'm looking into it too much, as these same spots have been trouble for awhile, now. I'll give it a few more weeks, hoping that the Spectracide took care of any insects which may be feeding on the roots...Thanks again!
Old 08-22-2017, 10:48 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 320

How deep is the new top soil? If you are only putting a shallow covering over existing hardpan that is a problem. Need a few inches of loose soil for the new roots
47_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:56 AM   #11

I used a fairly good amount of topsoil, maybe 1 1/2-2 "...Raked it in well and plenty of water without drowning the new seed...It was two weeks today that I planted it...
Old 08-23-2017, 10:06 AM   #12

Why not hire an established gardener or landscaper for one hour and hear what they say about your situation......
Old 08-23-2017, 10:50 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 44

I need help with my lawn!

If you have dead grass it has to be removed before you put topsoil on. That means either tilling the soil and removing the dead grass plants or getting a flat spade and cutting below the dead roots to expose the soil below.

I had a dead spot in my lawn and for kicks I bought two pieces of sod and used the spade method described above to prepare the area. The sod took hold really well and has survived some pretty hot and dry conditions this summer. I didn't plant seed in other spots because I know from experience that a hot summer cooks it. Seed should be planted in September in my neck of the woods.

The spade method is only good for small areas though it's a bit of a workout. There is a machine that strips sod when you have large areas to do.
abrowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:53 AM   #14

I have had a few professionals look at it and they don't get it...I think I WILL pout a few pieces of sod down and see how that works...I want to thank all of you guys for your comments!
Old 08-23-2017, 11:00 AM   #15

".....they don't get it..." What exactly did they say ? Or did they have no comments or did not know ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement