I Need Dirt - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2015, 03:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 624
Send a message via AIM to l008com

I Need Dirt

There are "farms" around where you can get any of the following: Sand, Gravel of varying types, rough fill, mulch, and screened loom. But none of these are what I need. I tried using loom but its more or less just mulch. It doesn't work well for building up soil. The rough fill is more like "regular" dirt, but it has boulders mixed in. I'm not sure where to get the kind of dirt I need, which would be the good old regular dirt I'd hopefully hit if I started digging a hole. I think I need some amount of clay content.

I need this dirt for two totally different reasons. One is that I have a lot of grading to do. I want to roll it flat so the new soil is a nice solid base that, once i plant some grass, won't be going anywhere. The grading I need to do is mostly subtle but there's just lots of it.

Second, I'm a biker and I need to build some dirt jumps in my back yard! I've been told I want dirt with a high clay content mixed in, otherwise the jumps wash away when it rains. I'm not sure what the ideal clay ratio is for this but I it's not anything i've been able to find at the "farms".

I'm also in the suburbs, so around here, a 'farm' is a garden center that also gets raw material trucked in for selling.
l008com is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2015, 03:28 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,344

Quote:
I'm also in the suburbs, so around here, a 'farm' is a garden center that also gets raw material trucked in for selling.
Ayuh,... Drive further outa town, 'n find an actual Farmer to deal with,....

Or Quarry,.... they usually have over-burden that might meet yer needs,...

Search craigslist for somebody that wants their pile of "Dirt" gone, probably for free,...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2015, 05:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 323

Put up a " Free dirt wanted" sign. That ought to get you going.
johnv713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2015, 07:08 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,016

An ad in Craigslist for clean fill dirt or other desired content will likely produce results, for free.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:45 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 422

If you want top soil look in the yellow pages .
Pulverized top soil is what you want for your yard and it is sold by the cubic yard .
It's delivered generally by a 5 yd dump truck.
If it's clay you want ...I wish you were a little closer ...you can dig out all the clay you want from my yard.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:56 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 12

Go to your landscape supply center for dirt. And you will want to get some 507 limestone for your ramps. This is a Driveway type gravel with limestone powder. Mixed. This will pack down tight. Almost like concrete.
Neosastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement