Hurricane IRMA Tree Removal Advice Needed... - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BayouRunner

Old 09-15-2017, 08:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,412

Hurricane IRMA tree removal advice needed...

So after hurricane IRMA came through South Florida last weekend, two trees came down completely and one tree had half of it's branches fell off on the roof and caused inside damages. Right now I have someone cutting down the two trees that are toppled and uprooted and I am trying to figure out what the rules are, and if there are any rules.

First a few pictures of the two trees that are down.

This is a mango tree and it fell on my roof. There are leaks inside and I can't even see where the leaks are coming from because the limbs are in the way.

This one in the front is a Queen's Crape Myrtle. The root is completely in the air.

It's too massive for me to deal with so I hired a company that does landscape/pressure cleaning/debris removal to do it. I can't find a "real" tree removal company because they are busy (for weeks) cutting down everyone's trees and they can't even take calls.

Now normally when one trims/prunes trees the pieces are cut down small and manageable and stacked neatly by the curb side for city's bulk waste pickup. But in this case this is so massive, it's impossible to cut them into manageable sizes. They cut the trunk down in sections (still massive as the trunk is like 2' in diameter), the root system that's in the air, is all tangled up with granite river rocks, landscape fabrics, even some sprinkler pipes and they cut out a few spots to detach it and used a dozer to push that whole massive thing out to the curb. They said they simply can't chop it down any further because using a chainsaw on them with the embedded rocks and fabrics and stuff could sent things flying.

My concern is that the cut down pieces are still very big and not manageable for bulk pick up guidelines, but is there a guideline in this case?

The city is not responding as their phone system is down, no power either. We have no power as well. I called WMS which is the normal company that does bulk pick up to see if this could be an issue, they said they do "normal" bulk but after hurricane pickup would be done by independent contractors, someone else told me it it could be FEMA. No one has answers and everything is in chaos (which is understandable).

The crew cutting the trees says it's OK because it's a massive hurricane and this is the best I (they) could do, and there are no other ways to deal with big trees because they simply can't dice them up nice and neat like normal times.

Anyone knows if there is any sort of common, typical, standard bulk rules after a hurricane disaster?

This is what's piled up so far.

miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2017, 08:43 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,140

Re: Hurricane IRMA tree removal advice needed...

Hi Miami, those are nasty.
Is the one still leaning on the house, it looks a bit smaller. Do you have any tools, sawsall or chain saw and are you comfortable using them?

If so, for the one on the house you just nibble away. There will be a lot of branches that are just there, not leaning on anything or under any tension. As you prune away all of the easy stuff the weight will be reduced and you will get a better view of the tree. Once 80% is stripped away the trunk will probably stand back up enough to clear the house.

As for those monsters there are many trucks that haul vehicles that can easily lift and move them, for a fee of course. When you talk to the town determine where they can be deposited.

Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2017, 09:02 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,412

Hi Bud,

I do have some tools, but it so dense and high, I have to somehow get up there to make the cuts, which means a ladder leaning on some branches that may or may not give and I am not comfortable operating a chain saw on an unsecued ladder...

There is no saving the leaning tree right? If I cut out all the leaves and tall branches, even if it can stand back up, can it be saved or is it just a "future" hurricane casualty?
miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2017, 10:10 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,140

IMO, time for a new tree. Even if you saved it, it would be years before it developed enough roots on that side to provide any strength.

I would still trim everything you can reach without a ladder to see it it wants to stand up a bit. I've had them jump up a few feet when I cut a major branch.

If you have a sawsall a long demo blade will take some of the medium branches and it's a lot safer if you went up a ladder.

Only reason I'm suggesting you do some of the work is the potential delay fro getting a pro in there and the need to close off any holes to prevent further damage.

Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 12:30 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 534

Cut it up and set it by the street. FEMA will eventually pick it up. I think ours sat out there for 6 months. Actually FEMA doesn't pick it up but allocates funds to your specific locality. It's a process and no one in your town will have a clear answer for yet. I'm speaking from my hurricane experience. I'm not sure how many I've been through but I can tell you it's too many

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nealtw likes this.
BayouRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 03:56 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,042

You have to get it to the curb any way you can, cut up is best, they won't come on your property to remove anything.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement