How To Remove This Stump - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree19Likes

Old 06-07-2018, 01:15 PM   #1
Endless Projects

Rewards Points: 1,378

How to remove this stump

This was a low lying pine tree bush that probably got weedwacked then died off years ago. I am trying to remove it in anticipation of a front yard make over.

The ground will be lifted about 4-5" to bring the level up to the top of the foundation afterwards. My plans are to just dig around the roots then try my wood splitting axe to separate the top of the bush from the roots but figured there might be a better method. My tools are axe, shovel and pick.

I am heading back out to continue digging but will check back to see if there is a better way before I try the axe to the roots.
Attached Thumbnails
How to remove this stump-20180607_120718.jpg  
Photobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2018, 01:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 7,015

Re: How to remove this stump

If those are your only available tools then that way will work. And it will be work.

A recip saw with a pruning blade is better for cutting roots and better for back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2018, 01:23 PM   #3
Endless Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyt View Post
If those are your only available tools then that way will work. And it will be work.

A recip saw with a pruning blade is better for cutting roots and better for back.
Got two of those

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2018, 01:32 PM   #4
Endless Projects

Got my battery operated recip saw, going out to chop off the branches at ground level to make it easier to dig. How far down should I dig to remove the roots? I will eventually want more shrubs there as my water gas meter and sewer clean out are there and need to be hidden.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:53 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,592

I prefer leaving a few inches of trunk wood like in the picture to fasten to and pulling. Do you have anything available to pull with?
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:58 PM   #6
Endless Projects

A dodge diesel
I've already gone down about a foot and tried cutting base away. I'll dig a little deeper to see if there is enough to wrap a strap around
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
I prefer leaving a few inches of trunk wood like in the picture to fasten to and pulling. Do you have anything available to pull with?
Old 06-07-2018, 02:02 PM   #7

You have plenty above ground to put a chain around.
We pull those little ones or bigger ones too.

I don't recommend a - stretching - strap for pulling.
Attached Thumbnails
How to remove this stump-tree-stump-pulled-3-6-10.jpg  

Last edited by SeniorSitizen; 06-07-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:13 PM   #8
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,274

I pull some pretty big stuff (30 year old aspen 6-7 round) with a super reduced chain hoist and chain..... but you need something big to attach to... like a big pine or your truck will do).

I find it easiest to take time, and put a lot of tension on it, let it sit an hour or to, tighten up on it again, and again if necessarily, untill it pops.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:32 PM   #9
Endless Projects

Dodge 1 stump 0

The Following User Says Thank You to Photobug For This Useful Post:
SeniorSitizen (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 02:38 PM   #10

If pulling I would put a clove hitch knot around each of those little fellers sticking up and pull all of them in 1 pull. With 2 ccw loops and loop A set on top of loop B then drop the knot over each stub and tighten. The knot may cut the limb in half on tuff ones.
Attached Images

MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:31 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 832

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photobug View Post
The ground will be lifted about 4-5" to bring the level up to the top of the foundation afterwards.
You don't want your lawn and landscaping to be at the top your foundation. It needs to be 4-6" below where your siding begins. Otherwise you'll have problems moisture wicking up into your siding.
Bud9051, Nealtw and Photobug like this.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:12 AM   #12
Endless Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
You don't want your lawn and landscaping to be at the top your foundation. It needs to be 4-6" below where your siding begins. Otherwise you'll have problems moisture wicking up into your siding.
Thanks, I did have a consult with a landscape guy last year, but I forgot the exact details. I remember we needed to get within a certain height then fill the area between with bark or mulch. I have left the details of the landscaping to my wife, which means I will probably be here at the last moment trying to figure out how to do it.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:45 AM   #13
Likes to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
You have plenty above ground to put a chain around. We pull those little ones or bigger ones too.

I don't recommend a - stretching - strap for pulling.
Your photo made my stomach do a bit of flip-flop this morning. I'm digging up and trying to remove the stump of a pine tree because the stump is in the way of the retaining wall I'm going to build and the drainage gravel that will be behind the retaining wall.

I've dug down and around the stump (San Angelo bar, 36" breaking bar, shovel) and used a big axe to chop through a huge root (9 inches thick), but I learned from a lumberjack (here the other day to talk about cutting down some dead cedars) that there is a tap-root and that I will need to use a reciprocating saw to cut through it.

A neighbor loaned me an only-used-once Dewalt DWE305 12.0 Amp Reciprocating Saw that he got for free as a promotional item and says he doesn't care if I end up ruining it (I'll try not to). He also gave me a Harbor Freight package of blades -- no pruning blades, but some for wood and general purpose. I will buy some pruning blades, but maybe I'll try it with the wood blade on a smaller root. A neighbor's son thinks that after I get the roots cut he can attach a chain and pull the stump out with his SMALL pick-up, but I have my doubts about that (because of the lack of power of the pick-up and where the stump is located).

The Allan Blocks and "supersacks" of gravel for my retaining wall were delivered on June 20, but this stump has to come out before I can proceed with taking out the old wood wall. This is turning out to be a bigger issue that when I first looked at the stump and thought "Just some digging and hacking..."

I welcome and appreciate any advice, observations or experiences with stump removal.

Last edited by cat's_pajamas; 07-01-2018 at 12:02 PM.
cat's_pajamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 01:27 PM   #14
Endless Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat's_pajamas View Post
I welcome and appreciate any advice, observations or experiences with stump removal.
Find someone with a bigger truck.

Granted my stump was significantly smaller but my truck made such quick work of it. The potential to just remove some of the roots and be able to yank it out. Your tree being a big pine might mean some significant roots to get through unless you can yank it with a truck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Photobug For This Useful Post:
cat's_pajamas (07-01-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 03:48 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,004

Here is my advice CatsJ. Either rent a stump grinder or hire a man with a stump grinder. ($150 either way around here) I dealt with two stumps like yours in my yard. The one in the pic, I used my sawzall, chainsaw, dulled 3 chains and used every pry bar, digging tool I had on it. Plus, a half bottle of Tylenol for my aching body to finally get it out.

The other stumps tap root and perimeter roots were so large, I just ended up taking my chainsaw and cutting it up in pie slices, until it was 12 inches down below the ground, where I could soil over it and plant grass seed.

If you let someone (just being nice, not hired) hook their truck up to that stump that has less than a Dodge 3500 4x4 turbo diesel, you "may " end up feeling your on the hook... for paying the damages they will do to their truck.

Because there is something about males and their ego. They will pull the whole bottom end out of their truck off trying to get that stump out, before they will admit " Nope, my truck just ain't big enough". JMO and Good Luck to you.
Mike Milam likes this.

Last edited by Gregsoldtruck79; 07-02-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Gregsoldtruck79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gregsoldtruck79 For This Useful Post:
cat's_pajamas (07-01-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement