How Long Does It Take For Maple Tree To Start Growing? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2017, 07:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 394

How long does it take for maple tree to start growing?

Bought Autumn Blaze maple tree online. About 3ft with roots. It came with leaves dried up on branches, but the branches and roots weren't dry. How long would it take to take root and show signs of life/new leaves?
Dixon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2017, 08:38 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,506

Re: How long does it take for maple tree to start growing?

Maybe forever but I wouldn't feel fortunate if it survives. It's looking as if the nurseries have possibly determined they can be more competitive on shipping cost by shipping dehydrated.

Reply to the nursery with a picture of dried crumbled leaves, even if you must dry some a little more in the microwave.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
Dixon12 (05-01-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2017, 09:00 PM   #3
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,174

The Internet says they are a hybrid cross of silver and red maple and grow approx. 3' per year which is really fast for a maple. I agree that the root ball is probably very dry and you should keep it well watered to encourage root growth. Keep monitoring it for new growth but don't let it go too long if it came with a warrantee.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lenaitch For This Useful Post:
Dixon12 (05-01-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2017, 10:47 AM   #4

Actually the roots weren't dry, and they had some sort of gel on them.

And just looked into the warranty, and it's bogus... have to UPS it back at my expense and they'd issue store credit. That's not worth the bother for a $12 tree.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:01 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixon12 View Post
Actually the roots weren't dry, and they had some sort of gel on them.

And just looked into the warranty, and it's bogus... have to UPS it back at my expense and they'd issue store credit. That's not worth the bother for a $12 tree.
Would you supply us DIY readers the link where it was purchased so some of the general public can be informed to avoid this seller?

Not so much for me because I have a on line purchasing phobia for about 99.999 percent of the on line products for sale for the simple reason you stated.

Thanks for the information.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
Would you supply us DIY readers the link where it was purchased so some of the general public can be informed to avoid this seller?

Not so much for me because I have a on line purchasing phobia for about 99.999 percent of the on line products for sale for the simple reason you stated.

Thanks for the information.
http://www.tnnursery.net/

I don't know if they should or shouldn't be avoided. Only planted the tree two days ago, and haven't reached out to them about it yet.

It did take them a long time to ship it, over three weeks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dixon12 For This Useful Post:
SeniorSitizen (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 04:31 PM   #7
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,174

Two days is not a long time to see if a transplanted tree is establishing itself. I have no idea what the gel coating might be but assume it is probably some type of anti-desiccant. Did it come with planting instructions? You might want to give them a call or drop into a real nursery close by for advice.

I too have only dipping my toes into the online shopping world. I still have to see and touch things and, to extent I can, support my local businesses.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement