How To Keep Sidewalks And Paver Areas Grass Free? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2015, 11:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 32

How to keep sidewalks and paver areas grass free?

Living in southern Louisiana where the soil is extra fertile, it rains 60+ inches a year and there's lots of sunlight the ability to grow things is not the problem. Keeping things FROM growing is the problem.

I've tried Roundup (and similar products) but it takes a ton of it and doesn't last very long. I covered an entire area of my yard in weed cloth and a 2 inch layer of rocks thinking that would work, but over the WINTER it got totally taken over by weeds. The reason the spray vegetation killers don't work terribly well is that it rains so much here that it doesn't really stay in the soil.

I'm at my wit's end with this. It is impossible to keep my sidewalks from sprouting grass, my areas covered in pavers and my rocky areas. Is there anything out there that will keep it grass/weed free without having to apply it twice a month? I'm a "set it and forget it" kinda guy and when I did the rocks and pavers that was my intent. To make keeping up my yard easier...but now I just have to fight with weed/grass killer constantly. Ideas?
drmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2015, 02:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,170

Have you tired any of the weed killers that offer future protection? I know RoundUp makes one, others do as well but not coming up with any other brands off the top of my head.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2015, 03:05 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 17,912

Need a total vegitation killer.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Perm...ntrol&tbm=shop
The Permetrin I use last a year.
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2015, 03:07 PM   #4

Not sure what you mean by "future protection". The roundup and groundclear stuff all say they work up to 6 months or so. With our torrential rainfall though it all just gets washed away.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:08 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 4,170

That's the stuff I was talking about - you've already ruled it out.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:27 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 17,912

If your using reguler Round Up that's why it's not working.
A Total vegitation killer will kill it to the roots in just few day and keep on killing.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:42 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 7,009

Roundup was once a great product but that isn't true anymore and even if it was it is not what you need. Something like this is what you need.

homedepot.com/p/Ortho-1-gal-Concentrate-Ground-Clear-Vegetation-Killer-0430510/100001652?N=5yc1vZbx6f
Old 03-31-2015, 06:56 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 808

How about salt?
IslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:11 AM   #9

yes, I've even tried LITERALLY salting the Earth. one torrential rain and it all gets washed out and the jungle returns, lol. I have also tried GroundClear, gets washed away.

We get 62" of rain per year...
Old 04-04-2015, 01:08 PM   #10
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,344

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmoreau View Post
yes, I've even tried LITERALLY salting the Earth. one torrential rain and it all gets washed out and the jungle returns, lol. I have also tried GroundClear, gets washed away.

We get 62" of rain per year...
Ayuh,..... Here's where ya pick yer weapon,......
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:09 PM   #11

Except that is the exact opposite of why I put pavers and rocks down in the first place. I want a virtually maintainence free yard. I was trying to avoid the manual labor of having to cut grass 3x a week. With so much rain it grows soooo fast. If I have to manually pick weeds constantly then that defeats the point, lol. Appreciate the suggestion nevertheless.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:47 PM   #12
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 6,290

apply liberal amounts of fire to the area of concern. It sterilizes the soil killing most seeds and plants.

or if you don't have the room for a tractor but still wish to impress, there is this:

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:40 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 342

I used the home depot brand of weed killer. I call it scortch the earth. Cant beat the price, the stuff is about 1/10th the cost of name brand stuff. I takes about a week to totally kill weeds , grass, etc,,, but it works. For the price it doesnt bother me to have to apply every six to eight weeks

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-2-5-g...8027/203663649
ZTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:04 PM   #14
TruproServices.com

Rewards Points: 80

I'd recommend a good weed barrier then apply any product containing glyphosate which will kill the weeds that exist. Glyphosate is an excellent nonselective post-emergent herbicide. Given the persistence of the weeds, I would add some liquid dish soap to the mix to act as a surfactant which will help the product stick to the weeds. I would also add a pre-emergent herbicide to prevent future seeds from germinating.
TruproServices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:00 PM   #15

By weed barrier do you mean the weed cloth stuff? Mine grew right through two layers of that stuff buried under 2 inches of rocks.

Never heard of a "pre-emergent" herbicide. Can you recommend any brands? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement