How To Fill The Space Under A Low Deck? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2016, 08:32 PM   #1

How to fill the space under a low deck?

I am open to suggestions about what to do under this deck, it sees virtually no sunlight during the day so i'm sure grass is out of the question. I definitely would like to remove the lattice and of course i'll clean all the junk out. It is about 6' high at the front and about 3' at the back which makes the space very awkward.

All ideas are welcome!

P.S. I'm in Southern Ontario
Attached Thumbnails
How to fill the space under a low deck?-20150911_185706_1460424498925.jpg   How to fill the space under a low deck?-20150911_185719_1460424516214.jpg   How to fill the space under a low deck?-20150911_185740-1_1460424542695.jpg  
Braden99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2016, 09:02 PM   #2
Jello Wrangler

Rewards Points: 539

Re: How to fill the space under a low deck?

Do a dry river bed with low light plants.
ChiTownPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2016, 09:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 17,912

Re: How to fill the space under a low deck?

First thing I would do is loose that tree and have the roots ground out.
Second is get rid of those deck blocks and install real sonotube footings, no way would that have pasted any US codes built like that.
Pretty much useless space under a deck.
There's so many post because the deck was built with under sized lumber.
If you installed two real over sized footings and a doubled up 2 X 12 beam you may be able to get rid of all those center post.
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2016, 09:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownPro View Post
Do a dry river bed with low light plants.
At first I was not so sure about this but after looking at some pictures of dry river bed gardens the idea is really growing on me, thanks for the suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
First thing I would do is loose that tree and have the roots ground out.
Second is get rid of those deck blocks and install real sonotube footings, no way would that have pasted any US codes built like that.
Pretty much useless space under a deck.
There's so many post because the deck was built with under sized lumber.
If you installed two real over sized footings and a doubled up 2 X 12 beam you may be able to get rid of all those center post.
Thanks for the advice, we've been thinking about removing that tree for a while now as it really blocks the view. As much as I would like to take on that project of installing footers and such I don't think I could justify it to the rest of my family considering the deck has been standing without issue for around 20 years now, it's something to keep in mind though so thanks again.

If anyone else has any suggestions please just leave a comment!

Thanks!
Braden99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement