How Do I Kill My Yard? Endless Weed Cycle. Need A Plan, Short Of Brush Fire. - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By DR P
  • 1 Post By Canarywood1
  • 2 Post By SPS-1

Old 04-29-2018, 09:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 430

How do I kill my yard? Endless weed cycle. Need a plan, short of brush fire.

I need to kill this yard. But can't grow grass due to water conservation.

There must be a million weed seeds in the soil, and the whole yard is just a jungle of weeds. Endless cycle of weeds

I wish I could burn the top 10 inches, but I'll definitely get sued or arrested.

I need a plan.
I read clear plastic can heat up soil better. I need to kill the seeds.
2000 sqft of 6mil clear plastic is ~$100-150, but not UV resistant.
The string reinforced ones are more expensive, but more tear resistant.
Not sure how long it will last in the SoCal sun.

Tell me what I need to kill this yard

pman626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2018, 09:36 PM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 4,000

Re: How do I kill my yard? Endless weed cycle. Need a plan, short of brush fire.

Get a goat.

If you have any bushes that you want to keep, fence the goat out of the area.

Renting a small tractor with loader, will load and haul it away, ready for new top soil.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2018, 10:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,226

Re: How do I kill my yard? Endless weed cycle. Need a plan, short of brush fire.

There may be restrictions on a goat in la.
I thought you could use grey water for a lawn? I used to use a backpacking soap on clothes & divert the washing machine water.

What I'm seeing on Internet says you can have a lawn. Do you really not want one?

Last edited by Nik333; 04-29-2018 at 10:52 PM.
Nik333 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2018, 11:03 PM   #4
Peace be with you

Rewards Points: 1,860

To kill all vegetation in walkways, driveways and other areas where you donít want any living thing to grow again, mix two cups ordinary table salt with one gallon of white vinegar. Do this in a container that is larger than one gallon capacity so you have room for the salt. Heating the vinegar supposedly allows the salt to better dissolve when added. Apply a lid and shake to dissolve the salt. Salt dissolves more quickly in vinegar than in water, but it takes a bit of doing. It may not completely dissolve, and thatís okay. We used to also add used motor oil back in the day, but nowadays you should only add 1 teaspoon of liquid dishwashing soap such as Dawn so cocktail better adheres to vegetation. Pour into an ordinary garden sprayer. Apply to weeds or grass on a dry, sunny day to areas you donít want to see vegetation of any kind in the future.

The presence of salt in this recipe is what will eventually bring permanence to your weed killing. The salt will penetrate and leach into the soil. It may take several applications, but in time the presence of salt will ďsterilizeĒ the soil in this area so that nothing will grow there. More permanent and cheaper than Roundup...

If you want to speed up the shock & awe affect, pour salt into a fertilize spreader and take a pass or two before applying your homemade weed killer cocktail.

Peace
Dixon12 likes this.
My comments towards your questions & concerns are based on my work history, knowledge, & past experiences; they are my opinions given freely in hopes they truly help/bless U. That said, if U don't consult with & or hire a licensed professional locally, then please don't blame me when You DIY... Bottom line - Safety 1st & Always; got that???
DR P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 01:12 AM   #5

going by cost...

$120 for 1000 sqft of greenhouse 6mil plastic sheets to solarize the soil.

$120 for an electric tiller to dice up the yard. I mean, look at it. That thing is gonna be a biatch to clean up by hand.

$120 for 15 bags of 40lbs water softener rock salt to cover 2000 sqft weed jungle.

I just finished one pass of glyphosate today. Hopefully everything is dead in 2 weeks.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:09 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,238

Just curious, what are you going to do with it once the weeds are dead?

I'm up here in the wet Northeast, so I'm really clueless about this stuff.

I've heard a lot about using native species in landscaping, rather than grass. In theory it sounds pretty cool to try to restore a yard back to the way it "should" be if man hadn't intervened. But maybe those are the weeds you're trying to kill.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:04 PM   #7

I'm gonna just leave it uncovered soil.
We don't get a lot of rain.

I've seen people with front yards that are just flat dirt, and they're able to keep it weed free.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:23 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,042

Well you will kill the weeds that are growing, but not the weed seeds that are already in the soil, kinda like throwing your money out the window.
Bondo likes this.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:09 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 78

I would stay away from repeatedly using chemicals or a salt mix to kill the grass, it won't last long.

Better to look into some zero landscaping techniques.

A pergola with some seating area and if money allows add an outdoor kitchen would give you more function, increase your way of life and value to your home.
Otto W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:46 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 4,226

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman626 View Post
going by cost...

$120 for 1000 sqft of greenhouse 6mil plastic sheets to solarize the soil.

$120 for an electric tiller to dice up the yard. I mean, look at it. That thing is gonna be a biatch to clean up by hand.

$120 for 15 bags of 40lbs water softener rock salt to cover 2000 sqft weed jungle.

I just finished one pass of glyphosate today. Hopefully everything is dead in 2 weeks.
That's a lot of salt! Hope you don't kill the neighbors' plants/trees, too. Sounds like the Great Salt Lake desert. A lot of people on DIY have large acreages, unlike LA where neighbors are close.

Xeriscaping is an idea.

Last edited by Nik333; 05-01-2018 at 05:48 PM.
Nik333 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:39 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 7,498

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman626 View Post
I'm gonna just leave it uncovered soil.
We don't get a lot of rain.

I've seen people with front yards that are just flat dirt, and they're able to keep it weed free.

I am skeptical. Weed seeds are blowing around in the air all the time. I know its pretty dry, but the weeds in that area are the ones that survive just fine with little rain (evidence is your yard).

How much work do they have to do to keep bare dirt weed free?
Bondo and Nik333 like this.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:24 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 4,392

Maybe..

Then, maybe.
ron45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:00 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 770

River rocks look great. A lot cheaper than buying all that plastic and salt. Put down landscape cloth first.
Plus you only do it once
Wesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
I am skeptical. Weed seeds are blowing around in the air all the time. I know its pretty dry, but the weeds in that area are the ones that survive just fine with little rain (evidence is your yard).

How much work do they have to do to keep bare dirt weed free?
Looks like not much. They tilled it, and probably keep preemergent on it.

Looks like it's gonna take several rounds of pre/post emergent to kill my jungle.

Each method is either laborious, or expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
River rocks look great. A lot cheaper than buying all that plastic and salt. Put down landscape cloth first.
Plus you only do it once

One perk of this rental home is the big yard. Tenants can't use it if it's covered in rocks.

I've neglected to properly treat the weeds for a long long time, and now my goal is to get rid of most of the seeds in the top 4 inches of soil to make maintenance easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement