How Do This Drain Tile Plan Look? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By Msradell

Old 04-17-2019, 08:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 490

How do this drain tile plan look?

Yard never becomes swampy, so it seems like overall drainage on the property is pretty good. However, during wet periods, water seeps through the concrete in the garage. Not enough to puddle, but enough to make it dark and wet. I've tried concrete sealer and have racedeck tile laid down, but enough moisture seeps through where any piles of sawdust on the ground will wick up this water through the racedeck tile seams.

I'm thinking to add perf pipe around the perimeter of the garage, then a solid pipe section running away from garage that ties into a dry well. The pipe with follow standard drain tile practices of gravel and landscape fabric. Then the garage perimeter will have plants/bushes/mulch put in.

Is this the right approach to help with the damp garage concrete floor during wet seasons?

dtbingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2019, 09:49 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,344

Re: How do this drain tile plan look?

Quote:
Is this the right approach to help with the damp garage concrete floor during wet seasons?
Ayuh,.... That Should work, as you'll be lowerin' the water table to the depth of yer drainage tile,......
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2019, 09:57 AM   #3
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 4,080

That should work great.

Do get the proper drainage near 1/4" per foot of distance away, or what ever is recommended there. and it should be fine.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2019, 10:10 AM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 20,734

When you have your trench around the garage it wouldn't hurt to put damp proofing on the foundation up to ground level and ground level including mulch or any thing should be well below the siding.
de-nagorg likes this.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:58 PM   #5

Sounds good! We'll see how this goes.....I hate digging trenches.

Also, how deep should the perf pipe around the perimeter be? It will need enough dirt on top for small bushes to be planted above.

My thought is that if concrete garage floor is ~4" thick, the bottom of the perf drain pipe where the holes are should be a bit below that. So maybe like 2" of gravel below the pipe, 4.5" OD of drain pipe, 1" of gravel above pipe, then 6-8" of soil on top of all of that.

This would require the trench to be 14 - 16" deep. Is this too deep? Too shallow?

Old 04-17-2019, 03:00 PM   #6
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 4,080

Just a garage floor, no basement?

You got this down great, go for it.

Yes digging by hand is demanding work, not for the aged, or lame, but manageable if you take your time.

A small track mounted mini-hoe, is handy for this , but it might damage too much sod.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:13 PM   #7
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbingle View Post
Sounds good! We'll see how this goes.....I hate digging trenches.

Also, how deep should the perf pipe around the perimeter be? It will need enough dirt on top for small bushes to be planted above.

My thought is that if concrete garage floor is ~4" thick, the bottom of the perf drain pipe where the holes are should be a bit below that. So maybe like 2" of gravel below the pipe, 4.5" OD of drain pipe, 1" of gravel above pipe, then 6-8" of soil on top of all of that.

This would require the trench to be 14 - 16" deep. Is this too deep? Too shallow?

You have dirt against siding, that is rot waiting to happen

Remove siding protect the sheeting with peel and stick down to include the slab and cover that with galvanized steel, then you can bring the dirt up to about 6" below siding.
de-nagorg likes this.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:06 PM   #8
retired framer

See the sheet metal at the top of the stairs.

The peel and stick to the concrete and up the wood to above ground level protects the wood from water and insects.
Attached Thumbnails
How do this drain tile plan look?-16.jpg   How do this drain tile plan look?-img00156-20140811-0109.jpg  
Old 04-17-2019, 10:40 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 826

Your plan looks good however you're setting yourself up for problems down the road. If you plant plants that close to the drainpipe you're going to end up with roots getting in to and clogging the drainpipe in a few years. Putting a layer of landscape fabric on top of the pipe it will help the problem.
de-nagorg likes this.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
Just a garage floor, no basement?
Yep! The house has full basement, with a drain tile and sump pump. Garage is off to the side with just a slab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post

Remove siding protect the sheeting with peel and stick down to include the slab and cover that with galvanized steel, then you can bring the dirt up to about 6" below siding.
So it should go sheathing -> peel n stick -> galvanized steel -> siding? And this would be to protect the wood sheathing and framing behind that.

I'm not sure I'd be able to go below the siding to protect the siding as well though. If 6" of dirt is removed to sit below the siding, the plant/bush soil area would be like a valley. It looks like in the pictures there's the luxury of the foundation wall extending above ground level. In my case, the top of the slab is level with the adjacent soil area and rest of the yard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
Your plan looks good however you're setting yourself up for problems down the road. If you plant plants that close to the drainpipe you're going to end up with roots getting in to and clogging the drainpipe in a few years. Putting a layer of landscape fabric on top of the pipe it will help the problem.
Will do. I planned to put a drain sock on the perf pipe. Then additionally lay landscape fabric in trench followed by the gravel and pipe and finish it off by wrapping the previously laid landscape fabric around everything. I have some pea pebble I'm trying to get rid of as well, so I might do a thin layer of pea pebble on top of the landscape fabric that wraps the pipe/gravel before adding soil back.

Another question:
This drainage system will terminate into a dry well (one of those flo-well tanks). These have a pop-up drain on the top of the tank or suggest routing this at an even lower elevation point. According to the instructions, it sounds like this is somewhat optional and handles excessive water only. If I choose not to install this, it seems like the an unlikely and worst case scenario would be the drainage system fills up and it would behave as if there was no drainage system installed. Has anyone installed one of these without a pop-up emitter?
Old 04-18-2019, 09:46 AM   #11
retired framer

Quote:
Yep! The house has full basement, with a drain tile and sump pump. Garage is off to the side with just a slab.

So it should go sheathing -> peel n stick -> galvanized steel -> siding? And this would be to protect the wood sheathing and framing behind that.

I'm not sure I'd be able to go below the siding to protect the siding as well though. If 6" of dirt is removed to sit below the siding, the plant/bush soil area would be like a valley. It looks like in the pictures there's the luxury of the foundation wall extending above ground level. In my case, the top of the slab is level with the adjacent soil area and rest of the yard.
Your drawing shows dirt for a foot against the siding, remove the siding for 6 inches above the dirt.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Your drawing shows dirt for a foot against the siding, remove the siding for 6 inches above the dirt.
Ahh sorry that's my mistake on the paint drawing. I was focused on the trench depth compared to the slab and didn't really consider the siding or surrounding lawn when drawing it.

If I removed siding to be 6" above the dirt, the wood sheathing will be exposed. If I removed dirt to be 6" below siding, I'd have a valley in that area compared to the elevation of the lawn. Without a drastic change, it seems like I'd be able to add what you mentioned to protect the sheathing, but will have to deal with the siding rot and replacement over time.

It's more like this:
Old 04-18-2019, 12:46 PM   #13
retired framer

Quote:
Ahh sorry that's my mistake on the paint drawing. I was focused on the trench depth compared to the slab and didn't really consider the siding or surrounding lawn when drawing it.

If I removed siding to be 6" above the dirt, the wood sheathing will be exposed. If I removed dirt to be 6" below siding, I'd have a valley in that area compared to the elevation of the lawn. Without a drastic change, it seems like I'd be able to add what you mentioned to protect the sheathing, but will have to deal with the siding rot and replacement over time.

It's more like this:
Did you read my first suggestion?

Old 04-18-2019, 01:39 PM   #14

Ohhh I get it now. I misunderstood what you were saying with the placement of the galv. steel before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement