How Can I Crank This Tie Down? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Colbyt
  • 1 Post By jlhaslip

Old 04-24-2018, 02:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 118

how can I crank this tie down?

Any suggestions on how I can crank this warped board down? Actually, the two below it are warped. The ground is flat. I can't use my come along because it's too big... same with my ratchet strap. My clamps aren't strong enough and when I stand on it, nothing happens. I want to attach it on the back with mending plates. thanks...
Attached Thumbnails
how can I crank this tie down?-20180424_141820.jpg  
Gettysburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2018, 02:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,122

Re: how can I crank this tie down?

If you removed it you could shave some off of the two below.

What are you using to hold them in place as the other end will need some serious attachment?

Can the two below be removed for modification?

You could probably park a truck on that and not get much movement so bending it into submission will definitely be a challenging.

Other than removing them and modifying or flipping the crown I don't think a ratchet strap will be enough to move that one. To use a ratchet strap you would add more blocks above to get the depth needed for the ratchet.

Bud

One more suggestion but you will have to makeup the attachment. Use a hydraulic jack set on top of that high end with a chain or other over the top and under the bottom timber. As you jack up the base of the hydraulic will be pushed down. A chain would not work well so you need to fabricate something to push on.

Last edited by Bud9051; 04-24-2018 at 02:23 PM.
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2018, 02:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 6,997

I doubt you will be able to do it like you are thinking.

You could flip it over and maybe use some long lag bolts to pull down the crown.

or

You might be able to do a relief cut that does not go all the way through on the bottom edge just to the right of the bottom joint.

or

You could haul it back to where you bought it and ask for a replacement.
Bondo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2018, 06:21 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 118

The bottom ties have been there for years as a flower bed. I just decided to make it deeper and so I put the top board on. At the time I didn't realize that the bottom two were so bent. The insides are all attached to one another minus the warped-looking one (it's straight, the two below it are warped) with mending plates and the lower level are all drilled through and a 24" piece of rebar is pounded into them down to the ground.
I'm going to try the crank it down with ratchet straps or my come along and use additional scraps of 6x6 on top to make room for the device.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Gettysburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:36 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 6,122

Make sure the opposite end is well secured so it doesn't just pop up as you pull the other down.

Our shop had one of these, a bearing press where the hydraulic jack pushed up against a secured metal frame while the body of the jack moved down. The principle they are using is what I was trying to describe above and uses the 20 ton capacity of a jack.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...SABEgLF_vD_BwE

Not sure what you have for tools, but if you mark those two bottom beams using that straight one on top (teeter it for equal gaps on each end) and then with a circular saw adjust the depth and make many cross cuts (many) you can knock out the remaining material and chisel or sand the remaining surface a bit flatter, THEN NO STRAP WORK WOULD BE NEEDED. Or at least minimal.

Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 01:27 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 4,170

Can you not dig out under the bottom two to make them level? It looks to me like they follow the ground more than they are warped.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:31 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 708

Pop the top one off, use a chain saw to "plane" the kink in the bottom two to reduce the kink.
Add a couple of saw kerks to the underside of the top one. Might take a few efforts to figure out the number, position, and spacing of said kerfs to actually get it to sit nice.
Use some "structural screws" to secure the piece and pray it will follow the bend as modified in the first step.
Gregsoldtruck79 likes this.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:00 PM   #8
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,526

Looks like she is warping a bit. Also looks like your ground is sloping down to the left, or maybe just the first layer settling.
Take the warped tie off and flip it over. This should help some. Next attach them with 5/8 x 12 gal lag screws. Completely drill thru top tie 5/8 to clear. Bottom tie will need a pilot hole about 3/8. Even if the lags don't pull them right together, retorque them every few days, they will eventually.
Yodaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement