How To Block Grass And Weeds - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2018, 12:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 277

How to block grass and weeds

Hello and happy Mem day
I ask this question knowing that perhaps there is no answer.
Is there a way that I can prevent the grass from growing/climbing up the front of those pavers? Or from going in between the pavers? I can't stand to see grass blades or weeds in between the pavers or in front.. Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
How to block grass and weeds-20180528_120022_1527528711623.jpg  
NABRIL is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2018, 12:51 PM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 4,080

Re: How to block grass and weeds

What would you like to see there instead?

The sod is too close to the blocks anyway, that is mistake one.

trim some of the sod away, then get some Conveyor belt rubber, and cut yourself some wide strips as long as needed to cover the soil in front of the blocks.

Then use mulch, pea gravel, or marble chips, or anything that you deem suitable as a covering for the belt, and cover the belt with that.

Then when mowing be careful that you don't throw mulch around with the blades.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to de-nagorg For This Useful Post:
NABRIL (06-05-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2018, 01:11 PM   #3

Thanks Ed
In essence, I need to create separation between the pavers and the grass. Sure. Where might I find the conveyor belt rubber?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2018, 01:35 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,002

If it were mine I would lay two courses of the curved retaining blocks. They will accent the flower garden nicely and give something to trim the grass to. Stagger the joints vertically as in my sketch and the weeds cannot grow upwards through them. If weeds get in the block openings of the top row later, just use whatever method is used to weed the flowers ...on those weeds. JMO

Last edited by Gregsoldtruck79; 05-28-2018 at 06:20 PM.
Gregsoldtruck79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsoldtruck79 View Post
If it were mine I would lay two courses of the curved retaining blocks. They will accent the flower garden nicely and give something to trim the grass to. Stagger the joints vertically as in my sketch and the weeds cannot grow upwards through them. If weeds get in the block openings of the top row later, just use whatever method is used to weed the flowers ...on those weeds. JMO
Thanks Greg with the truck
I would like to only have 1 row of pavers, but because mine are so low, you can barely see them; of course, I could raise them a bit with some dirt.
But. Even if I use 2 rows of pavers, the grass will continue to grow against them, which is inevitable, obviously.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:05 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by NABRIL View Post
Thanks Greg with the truck
I would like to only have 1 row of pavers, but because mine are so low, you can barely see them; of course, I could raise them a bit with some dirt.
But. Even if I use 2 rows of pavers, the grass will continue to grow against them, which is inevitable, obviously.
Raising the one existing row of blocks will not help, as the openings on the angles between the blocks will still allow the grass to grow up between them. If you do not like the idea of the blocks getting higher, the existing row could be dug down and lowered, then put a new row of blocks on top of it. The staggered method of laying the blocks as in my pic, stops the upwards growing of weeds grass through the blocks.

The grass in front of the blocks ? This is what portable weed trimmers are for. The grass has to stop at some point around the garden. At the bottom of the retaining blocks is a good place ...in my opinion. Good Luck on your project and JMO
Old 05-28-2018, 03:29 PM   #7
JUSTA MEMBER

Quote:
Thanks Ed
In essence, I need to create separation between the pavers and the grass. Sure. Where might I find the conveyor belt rubber?
After it's wore beyond usability for a conveyor, it is replaced and new is installed.

Call an elevator repair place, they also repair conveyors, and ask them what they do with the old belts after use.

They might have some for the taking.

Also any freight handling warehouse, gravel pit, many road builders, and many others use conveyors to move their materials.

Any of them might have a pile of worn belts that they will let you haul away.

Another idea, go out to the local highway, and gather up some of those castoff tire treads that get thrown from the trucks tires often.

They will do the job of the conveyor belts that I suggested.

And are already the right width that I had suggested.

There are resources abound, one just has to utilize them.

ED
Old 05-28-2018, 03:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsoldtruck79 View Post
There are resources abound, one just has to utilize them.
ED
ED.. I like the idea of using the shredded tires from the highway - very clever. If the purpose of that rubber is to prevent anything from growing through, then can I just use anti-weed mesh that I already own? And use perhaps 2 layers of it?
Old 05-28-2018, 03:47 PM   #9
JUSTA MEMBER

Sure that'll work fine.

But what's the fun of using a commercial product, when you can invent something different.

I too use the landscape fabric, at times. But the tire tread, conveyor belt, is much heavier and don't blow away as easy as the fabric does.

ED
Old 05-28-2018, 04:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
Sure that'll work fine. But what's the fun of using a commercial product, when you can invent something different. [IMG class=inlineimg]http://www.diychatroom.com/images/smilies/devil.png[/IMG]

I too use the landscape fabric, at times. But the tire tread, conveyor belt, is much heavier and don't blow away as easy as the fabric does.
ED
Well said, and I agree. But since I already own the fabric, I'll use it. Now. In front of that fabric and the stones or mulch or marble chips that will go on top, I'll have to use those plastic retaining walls that digs in about 6 inches, no?
Old 05-28-2018, 09:37 PM   #11
JUSTA MEMBER

Quote:
Well said, and I agree. But since I already own the fabric, I'll use it. Now. In front of that fabric and the stones or mulch or marble chips that will go on top, I'll have to use those plastic retaining walls that digs in about 6 inches, no?
Only if you want to, if you think it necessary to improve the look, and maybe corral the covering.

Those treads can be inserted in the dirt vertically too, unless you think that it's ugly.

ED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement