House From Foreclosure Auction. Backyard Proves It! - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 2 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By joecaption
  • 1 Post By Gregsoldtruck79

Old 05-01-2018, 06:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 16

House From Foreclosure Auction. Backyard proves it!

If you look through the images (imgur link below), you'll see:

. quite a few types of weeds
. a drain in middle of the yard that seems to be full of cement
. a pipe sticking out of the ground that does??
. a tree stump that I started trying to dig out
. a ton of vines
. other things that I can't describe

I've never owned a house before, and have no idea where to start. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

https://imgur.com/a/V8PVWMj
Mediabloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2018, 06:18 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 20,388

Re: House From Foreclosure Auction. Backyard proves it!

You want to figure out what should be there like a septic system, well or city water, gas lines or what have you .
That stump needs a recip saw with a hand full if blades.
Mediabloke likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2018, 06:23 PM   #3

Thanks. I guess I'll have to call the city about that drain. I can buy a saw for the roots. Should I use root killer on them, or is cutting them going to be enough?

Also, I have access to a tiller. Does that help me here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2018, 06:32 PM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 20,388

If the root are deep you can just leave them they are dead already.
The tiller may find al kinds of things like roots from the big tree.
If the yard is low I would be tempted to put soil over it and lay sod and call it done.
Dave Sal and Mediabloke like this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:34 PM   #5

You mean just dump soil on without cleaning what's there? I'm a complete n00b, but won't the weeds just come right through that topsoil?

Also, what would I do with the vines in the back? Topsoil them too?
Old 05-01-2018, 07:47 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 17,912

I've been lucky enough to be the one hired to clean up messes like that. not the one having to pay for it.
I had one so bad there was a three car garage, and two sheds on the property map that could not be seen from 15' from the road, to get the the front door of the house we had to use a gas powered hedge trimmer to hack our way in.
I thought it had been abandoned at least 30 years ago, nope the old lady that lived there had just been taken to the hospital a week ago for a spider bite.
No way is just laying sod over that mess going to work!
Anything you want out that's bigger than 1/2" needs to be yanked out by the roots, I used my Z turn mower with a nylon double loop scrap with a screw pin shackel on my hitch.
I'd not be planning on a new lawn this year, unless you plan on coming in with some heavy equipment, I'd be using my tow behind sprayer filled with https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...cide-2-1-2-gal
This will kill the weeds to the roots.
Once there dead and gone there's going to be a whole lot of dethaching, soil test going to be needed before doing anything.
If you do remove that old tree and add topsoil, plan on adding enough to make a hump because as the old roots rot that area will settle.
Startingover likes this.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:54 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,864

Wow, looks like our back yard when we moved in 3 years ago. May want to hire it done if the $$$$ is handy. If not, and you like manual labor and sweat then here goes....

A tiller needs to be bought for the vines and landscape, and a lot of sweat equity, A $159.00 Stihl 16" MS 170 chainsaw w/ extra chains for the stump cut down like I bought, great saw to use for less than 12 diam. trees. And learn how to NOT pinch the chain like someone in the pic did.

Those vines can be tilled up after cutting them down flush with a string trimmer. . Cut down under them at least 3 inches with the tiller tines and bag them, and they will not come back. They are a HAVEN for chiggers as my ankles have the bite scars today to prove it.

Lots of tilling, clean up, grass seed, fertilizer, watering ...and you can make it nice...all good and fun to do. Hope you do not have a chain link fence to get those same old, overgrown and thick vines out of ...like I had to.

Be forewarned, it will not happen in a few weeks though. This is me in the pics not in any order though, fighting the jungle war on our ivy vines/weeds/Creeping Charlie ground cover in 2015/2016 and how it turned out when I was done much later. Good Luck.

Last edited by Gregsoldtruck79; 05-01-2018 at 11:08 PM.
Gregsoldtruck79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:56 PM   #8

Thanks!

I've been at this for a few hours now. Based on what I've learned (and please correct me if I'm wrong):

1. Just keep mowing it all summer, nothing can really be done until fall.

2. Towards the end of summer, till the yard. That'll open things up to get all the weeds up and out of the compacted dry soil.

3. spray it with a heavy grade weed killer (like the one you mentioned)

4. After about a week, everything should be dead. Get a soil test.

5. Add topsoil and maybe some strater seed.

6: in the fall of next year, plant all new grass.

Sounds about right? Did I miss anything important?
Old 05-01-2018, 08:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsoldtruck79 View Post
Wow, looks like our back yard when we moved in 3 years ago. May want to hire it done if the $$$$ is handy. If not, and you like manual labor and sweat then here goes....

A tiller needs to be bought for the vines and landscape, and a lot of sweat equity, A $159.00 Stihl 16" MS 170 chainsaw w/ extra chains for the stump cut down like I bought, great saw to use for less than 12 diam. trees. And learn how to NOT pinch the chain like someone in the pic did.

Those vines can be tilled up after cutting them down flush with a string trimmer. . Cut down under them at least 3 inches with the tiller tines and bag them, and they will not come back. They are a HAVEN for chiggers as my ankles have the bite scars today to prove it.

Lots of tilling, clean up, grass seed, fertilizer, watering ...and you can make it nice...all good and fun to do. Hope you do not have a chain link fence to get those same old, overgrown and thick vines out of ...like I had to.

Be forewarned, it will not happen in a few weeks though. Here is me, fighting the jungle war on our ivy vines/weeds/Creeping Charlie ground cover in 2015/2016 and how it turned out when I was done much later. Good Luck.
That looks amazing! I really enjoy getting my hands dirty, so while I understand that this is a job for a pro, I want to give it a shot.

The neighbors are so happy that after years of neglect, at least the front lawn is being mowed (they used to take turns doing it), and the trees have been trimmed or cut down. I also enjoy listening to podcasts uninterrupted by the tiny army I helped create.

If I just can't figure it out, I can always hire a pro next year!
Old 05-02-2018, 05:47 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 6,997

I saw assorted weeds and creeping charlie. Round up or generic will take care of those in about 5-10 days.

I saw ivy and vinca. Brush killer will take care of those. For best results trim them back with a brush cutter attachment on your weedeater and then spray the new growth heavily. A reapeat application may be required.

My experience is that tillers don't work well on vines, they tend to wrap around the tines.

That one little stump I would just dig out and be done with it. Bigger stumps I would grind or cover with dirt and a high nitrogen fertilizer. The second method takes 2-3 years to complete.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:35 AM   #11

I guess my bad experience using a weed killer to kill Creeping Charlie on my well established new growing yard has jaded me using weed killers. I cannot get passed the thought that if one has to poison their yard that heavy to kill so many vines and weeds, how long will it take the soil to recover to become healthy enough to be sound enough for new seed ?

And why I chose to deep till all my back yards vines and weeds in lieu of using gallons of weed killer. Sure the entanglement on the tines is work, but totally "rehabbing" a yard that has been abandoned for years to natures weeds and vines...will be a lot of work.
Startingover likes this.

Last edited by Gregsoldtruck79; 05-02-2018 at 10:57 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gregsoldtruck79 For This Useful Post:
Mediabloke (05-02-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 07:18 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 872

I've rented a chainsaw before for projects like the tree stump.
Startingover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:43 AM   #13

I paid a stump grinder guy to do one stump for me at $100.00 and it was so rotted, he was done in less than 10 minutes. So knowing I had about 5 more to do, I bought the Stihl MS 170 and "quartered" cut the stumps down below the ground about 10 in.

Used it to saw out old abandoned tree roots where I could not get grass to grow over the top of them. A chainsaw will pay for itself fast and fun to use. I bought a HF electric chainsaw sharpener years ago to sharpen my chains. So I always have 2 spare sharp chains for spares, because when they hit dirt a few times...dulls them quickly.

Last edited by Gregsoldtruck79; 05-02-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsoldtruck79 View Post
I paid a stump grinder guy to do one stump for me at $100.00 and it was so rotted, he was done in less than 10 minutes. So knowing I had about 5 more to do, I bought the Stihl MS 170 and "quartered" cut the stumps down below the ground about 10 in.

Used it to saw out old abandoned tree roots where I could not get grass to grow over the top of them. A chainsaw will pay for itself fast and fun to use. I bought a HF electric chainsaw sharpener years ago to sharpen my chains. So I always have 2 spare sharp chains for spares, because when they hit dirt a few times...dulls them quickly.
Not in the images I poster are 2 significantly larger stumps. When I moved in, I paid someone to cut/trim a few of the trees. One was dead, and the other was "a weed tree" (his words). Those are so far beyond the scope of what I want to be taking on right now, I'm going to leave them for another year.

I'll either hire someone, or rent a commercial grinder, and get a lot of insurance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bad , disaster , drain , mess , weeds