Hiding Garbage Cans - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2014, 02:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 463

Hiding Garbage Cans

How do you all store your garbage cans? Id like some way to hide them from seeing them from the street. Putting them out back of the house would work but it would be to far and on the side is idea for us.
cincinnati guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2014, 07:22 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 123

I've seen people with (what I assume is cedar) "houses" for their trash cans. Never gotten close enough to inspect how accessible it is though. Perhaps some lattice and durable landscaping?
Ariadne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2014, 07:50 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 17,912

Checkout the Rubber Maid web site under storage.
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2014, 05:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 868
Wink

I like the looks of fencing. Also you could put a couple of hedge plants in front of it.

Mine is behind a 4' fence, next to my sidewalk and easily accessible from the garage side door. Its next to a gate so easy to roll down the sidewalk to the curb.
Startingover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:34 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startingover View Post
I like the looks of fencing. Also you could put a couple of hedge plants in front of it.

Mine is behind a 4' fence, next to my sidewalk and easily accessible from the garage side door. Its next to a gate so easy to roll down the sidewalk to the curb.

I've got two behind the fence as well.
alexdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:27 AM   #6
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,174

I had the fence guy make me a C-shaped enclosure for our trash bins. Add around $200 to the total fence job. Same look as the rest of the cedar fence. I had some extra 1.5" bluestone slate slabs from the walkway, had those put down as a base. No point in having to trim grass around the trash cans...
Old 10-29-2014, 11:26 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 463

anyone have pictures?
cincinnati guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:47 AM   #8
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,174

Ok, here's mine. From the side facing the street, from the neighbors yard and the inside with the bins.

Nothing terribly fancy, but I did have them run a course of bricks down at the bottom and slate as the floor. No point in having to trim grass inside or under the edges.

It's been there a year and the cedar is aging naturally (no stain as that'd be one... more... maintenance... item...)

The wheeled bins are ABSOLUTELY worth the added cost. The round bin is for metal/plastic recycling and I hate having to carry/drag it out each week. The wheeled ones are much easier to move.

My only regret is I didn't make it one can larger for landscaping waste. But then I could just remove one of the gray bins as we rarely have two bins worth of regular trash. That only happens after holidays/parties or when I'm lazy and didn't take the bins out the previous week. I'd repurpose one of the gray bins but I prefer leaving the lid off the bin with landscape waste. Two reasons, sticks and stuff don't fit and it's good to let it dry out somewhat.
Attached Thumbnails
Hiding Garbage Cans-dsc_9048.jpg   Hiding Garbage Cans-dsc_9049.jpg   Hiding Garbage Cans-dsc_9050.jpg  
Old 11-03-2014, 07:48 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 38

I don't have any pictures, but I store mine along side the house beside the garage. I planted a couple of rose bushes that have grown up and hide them from street view.
crf731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:42 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 4,406

This maybe too late, but might be helpful to somebody.
http://www.ronhazelton.com/projects/...bage_enclosure
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement