Hi All. Fist Post! BIG Weed Problem... - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2016, 02:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

Hi All. Fist post! BIG weed problem...

Hi everyone. First Post! I live in Texas, and I've got a BIG weed problem in my yard, and I'm wanting to get rid of them as quickly and thoroughly as possible. I've tried things like Spectracide with basically no success. Roundup seems to almost work.

My front lawn is about 80 to 90 percent crabgrass, with hints of Bermuda grass mixed in. My back yard is even worse. it's probably75% crabgrass and weeds I don't even recognize. When our house was built, they sodded Bermuda in the front, and I bought seeds for the back.

It's all making me

But I want to be

Is there any way at all to get rid of these weeds quickly and effectively? I've considered just killing off the entire lawn and starting over with a different grass (I've read zoysia is good), but I don't think my wife would go for that. And I'm not even sure what would do that effectively that wouldn't take me out there spraying small strips of my yard with Roundup.

I have a battery-powered mower that sometimes bogs down and can't cut through the weeds. I have a reel mower that I'd LIKE to use more often, since I heard it's better for the grass and such. But first I have to get rid of these weeds!

Help, please! Any advice is greatly appreciated, especially if it works! Yard work would be so much more pleasant to do if I could get rid of these weeds!
mrichardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2016, 03:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,170

Re: Hi All. Fist post! BIG weed problem...

Rule of thumb is if your yard is more than 50% weeds and/or undesired grasses, your best bet is to kill it all and start over. Sounds like you're in that territory.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stick\shift For This Useful Post:
mrichardson (09-16-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2016, 03:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick\shift View Post
Rule of thumb is if your yard is more than 50% weeds and/or undesired grasses, your best bet is to kill it all and start over. Sounds like you're in that territory.
Thanks for your reply!

That's what I was afraid of. Unfortunately, aside from renting a tiller, I don't know specifically how I'd go about doing that.

I was reading something about Zoysia grass, and it sounded like that might help with the problem, but I'm past the "planting season" for it, and after I plant it I can't mow for 45 days. My current "lawn" can't go that long without being mowed.

And they're building houses next to mine, too. So I'm gonna have neighbors soon, and I want to have a decent, weed-resistant lawn in a year or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2016, 04:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,170

The process is this:
Collect soil samples and submit for a soil test
Spray everything with RoundUp or other 2% glyophosphate herbicide
Wait two weeks, re-spray anything still alive
Roto-til including adding amendments suggested by the soil test
Seed or sod

Your problem seems to be you did not care for your lawn properly, based on your line about part of the yard having been sodded but now being mostly weed. Zoysia is not going to solve that problem for you.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 04:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick\shift View Post
Your problem seems to be you did not care for your lawn properly, based on your line about part of the yard having been sodded but now being mostly weed. Zoysia is not going to solve that problem for you.
Yes, that was initially part of the problem. Unfortunately, I'd only lived in apartments before this, so lawn care is new to me, and I wasn't very good at it. Once things got out of control, I started fighting an uphill battle.

I've really been wanting to take much better care of it, but getting these weeds under control first is my first priority, and it's really frustrating. Once I do, I can get on a proper lawn care schedule.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:14 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 22

I would give these guys a call. Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Hi All. Fist post! BIG weed problem...-vw-van.jpg  
Brad_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:42 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,754

If this is standard builder's grass, your problem is likely lack of preparation and a lack of topsoil under the grass. Builders scrape home sites with dozers and then throw sod on like carpet tiles on a concrete floor. It looks good for a few months. Dig down and see what you have. If you till it, till in some brought-in topsoil if you need it.

Zoysia is a much nicer grass than bermuda, if it will grow in your area, but it's generally more expensive and harder to establish.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement