Help With Wood Fence Gate Replacement - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2015, 09:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Help with wood fence gate replacement

Good morning. First post, but long-time lurker.

I'm looking to replace my wood fence gate. I was hoping to just build a new gate and re-use the existing 4x4 support post, but the post has started to split at the bottom (see attached picture). The fence is 9 years old.

I thought the easiest solution would be to just cut off the old post and install a new post about a foot to the left (closer to the house). Doing that though would increase the width of the gate, and I'm not sure if it would make it too wide for a single gate. I haven't measured the existing gate yet, but from looking at the picture, it appears to be about 5' wide.

Do you guys have any suggestions on how you would approach? I've never dug up a fence post and concrete before, so I'm just assuming that is the harder option vs. relocating the post(s). Maybe an option would be to add two new posts about a foot to the left of the existing? Cut down the gate support post (left) but keep the post on the right.

Not sure if these are good ideas. Would appreciate any feedback and suggestions. Thanks!

Del
Attached Thumbnails
Help with wood fence gate replacement-img_3525.jpg  
DEL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2015, 06:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,914

Impossible see what you mean it's "splitting" by that picture.
All 4 X 4's split, it's called checking, does not effect the strenght.
What's wrong with the gate that's there now other then it was built wrong and is likely sagging?
There's no diaginal support.
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2015, 08:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Impossible see what you mean it's "splitting" by that picture.
All 4 X 4's split, it's called checking, does not effect the strenght.
What's wrong with the gate that's there now other then it was built wrong and is likely sagging?
There's no diaginal support.
Thank you for the reply.

I looked up "checking", and that is what I should've said instead of splitting. Sorry for the miscommunication on my part.

In addition to the splitting, the post is slightly sagging to the right in the bottom area, about a foot off the ground. It's not too bad, but it's noticeable. I've attached a picture showing the checking on the left and sagging on the right.

In regard to the gate, yes, it was built wrong with no diagonal support. In addition the the sagging, the top hinge on the metal frame that attaches to the post has partially rusted off, only leaving 2 out of 4 bolt attaching points for the post.

It would be really nice if I could just build a new gate and attach to the existing post. I just thought with the checking and slight bend at the bottom, it would need to be replaced.

Thank you for your time.
Attached Thumbnails
Help with wood fence gate replacement-image_1435886634568.jpg  
DEL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2015, 05:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,378

Google: fixing a sagging gate and you'll see few ideas and visuals on how to repair. Turnbuckles and/or diagonals are likely ideas that could work.
You may have a much simpler repair than replacing a post and constructing a new gate.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement