Help Please. Does This Block Wall On Pool Need Rebar? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2018, 11:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Help Please. Does this block wall on pool need rebar?

So I'm in the process of remodeling my backyard. One of the things I wanted to do was build a wall similar to this one on my pool.

I had someone come out and build the small wall (it's 28" high from where the pool already ended (where the the white ends in the pictures below and it's 18 feet long) and will be putting stacked stone on it (real stone, so it's heavy). The stacked stone will go from just above the water level where the red tile ends in the pictures below and cover the whole front and sides of the wall.

My question is, should this small wall have rebar in it? I'm not sure the guy who built it put any reinforcement into the wall and it is a very long wall. Should he have drilled into the part of the pool already there and put rebar into it? (or is that dangerous/could cause leaks in the pool and crack the side) Or is rebar in just the new sections fine? Or does it not need rebar? The wall is obviously not very tall, but my concern is the stacked stone is super heavy and it's all on the front part of the wall, could it topple over without rebar? Should I tear it down and start all over again?

Or am I fine because it's so short? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Help Please. Does this block wall on pool need rebar?-20180209_081853.jpg   Help Please. Does this block wall on pool need rebar?-20180209_081940.jpg   Help Please. Does this block wall on pool need rebar?-20180209_081935.jpg   Help Please. Does this block wall on pool need rebar?-20180218_161956.jpg  
sockaplayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2018, 01:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4

Re: Help Please. Does this block wall on pool need rebar?

If this is in the wrong forum (maybe Masonry is the correct one?) please let me know and/or move it to the correct forum, it fits in both I think.
sockaplayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2018, 04:08 PM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,342

Quote:
My question is, should this small wall have rebar in it? I'm not sure the guy who built it put any reinforcement into the wall and it is a very long wall.
Ayuh,..... Unless ya plan on 300lb fatchicks divin' off it everyday, I think rebar probably ain't necessary,....
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2018, 04:15 PM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 20,482

I doubt there would be a problem, but it's not my pool. At worst you would drill it for rebar and epoxy them in.
https://www.atoolshed.com/equipment....ry=37&key=2720
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:25 PM   #5
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 4,040

There is not going to be any force like a retaining wall has on it, nor a car running into it, or anything that really needs re-bar.

It's likely fine like it is.

And if you cut your stones in a veneer the weight wont be so much.

That is going to be nice to look at, hope to see a finished picture later.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement