Help With Patio Ideas - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2014, 07:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 101

Help with patio ideas

We have a mid-century brick home that has a painted concrete slab patio/courtyard area behind. The paint on the concrete continues to flake and look terrible. We are considering repainting, staining, or putting pavers on top.

Painting would be cheapest but probably have to be redone every couple years, the staining is middle of the road and would hopefully last for 5-10 yrs, pavers would last longer but are very pricey.

Our concern is that it would look to busy to have brick walls and planters and then more patterns on the floor.

Here is a pic of the patio area so you can see what I mean, this was when we bought the place and the paint looked perfect, which lasted until winter.

Any ideas on the best way to go?
mikereno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2014, 09:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 996

stained concrete would look awesome there.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2014, 09:21 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

I like the idea of the stained concrete best because your planters are made out of brick. If you go with pavers I would recommend using a grey flagstone. If you use pavers then I wouldn't use anything smaller then a 6"x9". The larger the paver is the less busy it will look. Another option you might consider is using recycled granite pavers.

Dirt Ain't Cheap (my landscaping blog)
Indepspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2014, 12:00 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,596

Congrats on owning a beauty of a home. I think the floor should be left as is for that craftsman or prairy style house - big, wide, linear lines.
I see at least one door with floor level threshold and pavers would create problems there.
Staining seems the best solution, but that would need a complete paint removal, probably grinding it out. I would maintain with color matched masonary paint.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carpdad For This Useful Post:
r0ckstarr (06-10-2014)
Old 06-09-2014, 11:12 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 101

Getting a quote for staining later this week. The door to the garage is the only one at ground level but opens in so technically wetland interfere if pavers, but the transition would be a little strange I think
mikereno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:10 AM   #6
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,174

Price out actual stone. Pavers never look quite as nice. A good slate or bluestone would add a nice contrast to the brick. But as Carp points out, you'd have to take the door threshold into account. Not terribly hard to solve, but would add to the complexity of the job.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:33 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 79

I would even like the look of crushed stone there. With enough sand and fines to really lock it together after running a plate compactor over it.
eclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement