Help Me Save A Tree! - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By Bondo
  • 1 Post By Canarywood1
  • 2 Post By de-nagorg

Old 05-08-2017, 10:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 620
Send a message via AIM to l008com
Question

Help Me Save a Tree!

I have this smallish tree in my yard that I liked. It was one of the few trees i didn't even know I had, until I started cutting down the massive wall of weed & vine the previous owners never touched. Imagine my surprised when I found this tree and a maple tree growing under all that!

Anyway, what happened was my neighbor was "helping" me cut down a tree and of course it fell 90 away from the way I wanted it too, and it actually landed right on top of this tree, splitting half of it off like a wishbone. But luckily, the remaining half didn't break.

But it is a little flimsy, and the tree does have this "open wound". The tree is still growing and I hope it can grow normally, but is there anything I should do to help it along? A tree band aide?

This is the whole tree. It's hard to distinguish from the background but to my eye, there's plenty of greenery left for the tree to keep on treeing. The weird zig zag in the trunk is what happens when 1000 pounds of weeds and vines are growing on a little sapling.

This is a closeup of the damage. Literally half the tree was growing out of that and it got sheered right off.

l008com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2017, 02:33 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 34

Re: Help Me Save a Tree!

Really nothing to do, it will heal itself if it is strong enough. Maybe give it a shot of 10,10,10 fertilizer to help it along.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2017, 05:45 AM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,340

Ayuh,... That poor tree has been abused, All it's life,...

Broken, bent, 'n twisted,....

Cut it down, it'll have weak points everywhere it's be damaged before,....
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2017, 05:03 AM   #4

Ok so teh tree was doing ok until one very windy day. The day after, the tree was laying on the ground at a 90 angle. I was bummed so I just left it. A few days later, I noticed the leaved hadn't died yet. This little bastard was still alive! So I straightened it back out and it ain't dead yet. But now the trunk is super weak. I need some sort of splint I can put over the point where it bent so I can keep it upright. But I don't want to do anything thats going to make it worse, by either choking off the bark or by blocking enough sunlight to cause mold type problems. Any suggestions? It's not really in a good spot to tie any support ropes unfortunately.

I mean I could do something as simple as a 2x2 and duct tape, but I imagine duct tape will disintegrate in the sunlight faster than this tree will be able to heal it's injuries?

Old 06-30-2017, 05:06 AM   #5

It looks the same in that newest picture, but where the injury is, was bent 90 to the left for three days or so.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:34 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 36

That's an entry point for infection, I would do some wound dressings, but I noticed some people say it's best to leave it open and the tree will take care of it.
I believe this is like playing the lottery, the tree may or may not be able to isolate that wound by itself, you'll only know when it's too late.
kinderheim511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:30 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,042

Like Bondo said, cut it down now while it's still fairly easy to get rid of.
Mike Milam likes this.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 11:02 AM   #8
retired framer

Rewards Points: 20,276

http://forestkeepers.net/repairing-damaged-tree-bark/
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 12:56 PM   #9
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 4,008

If there was one growing in your jungle, there should be more.

So look around your yard, and keep another one like this one.

Remove this poor crippled soul, and replace it with a healthier relative.

Bless your tree hugger heart, but sometimes it's best to let them go.

ED
lenaitch and Nealtw like this.

Last edited by de-nagorg; 06-30-2017 at 12:57 PM. Reason: spelin erer
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:15 PM   #10

Well, the story has come to a sad end. So the tree had fallen 90, and i had lifted it back up with a rope. It seemed savable, but I didn't have time or materials to do anything about it. I left it tied up to another tree but it was an awkward angle. I was hoping it would hold long enough for me to get **** done.

Well it was really gusty last night and it fell back over again. I pulled it back up again, and this time the thing collapsed and fell forward 90.

And with that, the tree was done It sucks cause now i'm going to have to wait another 10 years for any tree I plant to get that big. But I already cut it up into firewood. Oh well. I think I could have saved it too if I just had the time and it hadn't fallen back over again.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:32 PM   #11
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 4,008

Look around in that jungle, there should be a sister to it somewhere, might need to transplant, but much of the growing has been done by negligence.

I thought that it looked near hopeless.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:35 PM   #12

That jungle isn't the jungle it looks like. We've just had such a wet year, things have grown out of control. There are other small trees along the top of my yard but they're all spaced out. This was a good spot for one, but everything else is too big to try to transplant. And everything else is already where i want a tree to be. And this hill my yard is on is made of mostly old chunks of concrete, covered in a layer of dirt, and that layer is extra thin on the slope. So planting a tree out back is not easy, not like the front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement