HELP ME Save My Lawn.. - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jimn01
  • 1 Post By mikegp

Old 05-24-2016, 09:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 169

HELP ME Save My Lawn..

Bought the house 5 years ago but then life came thru with an uppercut..., new job, new kids, new responsibilities... Anyways I now have time to devote to yard upkeep..

HOPEFULLY not too late..

Will Number 0 Turn Number 1, and Number 2, into something similar to Number 3?

Number 3 = same lawn just freshly cut but seems like no weeds, right?

let me know!

oNe
Attached Thumbnails
HELP ME Save My Lawn..-number-0.jpg   HELP ME Save My Lawn..-number-1.jpg   HELP ME Save My Lawn..-number-2.jpg   HELP ME Save My Lawn..-number-3.jpg  
Sean Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2016, 11:25 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 340

Re: HELP ME Save My Lawn..

The Weed B Gone will do well to kill most of your weeds. With that many, you may need a few apps. I would go to your local garden center and tell them what you have going on and they will tell you what to put on your lawn, and most importantly when.

I get seven treatments per year from tru green, and the cost is about the same as me going to the store and buying the product.
ZTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2016, 06:06 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 107

Weed killers will help although for environmental reasons I don't like to use them. I fish in the rivers around us that runoff water runs into . Also consider not cutting your lawn as short. The secret to fewer weeds with less chemicals is to cut the grass to about 3 inches (the next to highest setting on many mowers). This helps to create a stronger thicker turf which makes it harder for the weeds to germinate .
Nik333 likes this.
jimn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2016, 06:12 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,258

Over seeding helps, too.
Nik333 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:33 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,602

Do your neighbors give you the stink eye every time they go by? I have a neighbor with a quarter the amount of those dandelions and it drives me crazy that his seeds are always flying onto my lawn. I like the guy, just wish he wasn't making my life harder.
Nik333 likes this.
mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegp View Post
Do your neighbors give you the stink eye every time they go by? I have a neighbor with a quarter the amount of those dandelions and it drives me crazy that his seeds are always flying onto my lawn. I like the guy, just wish he wasn't making my life harder.
haha.... no they do not! I NEVER let it get this bad, as I cut it once a week. However what happened this time is that I had to leave town for a work trip, the day I left it poured, and poured, came back 4 days later to this!

Also I have 2 active kids, they watch less than an hour of tv a week, aka they are outside ALL OF THE TIME!!! SO I always stayed away from the chem's....

So.. i have 2 options, GOT IT!

1. kill weeds with man made chemicals and deal with what that means.. i.e. runoff into our lands rivers, ect, ect..

2. cut grass "longer" aka I have been cutting it at 3/4" but seems like even thats too short...

decisions, decisions..

LASTLY from what you can see in the last pic, is my grass still save-able? The door to door lawn guys are telling me I have nothing but weeds and no grass and quote me a complete lawn do-over, aka RESOD everythign for a cool $3k-5K..

thoughts?

oNe
Old 05-25-2016, 01:19 PM   #7
Knows Enough to be Danger

Rewards Points: 1,217

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegp View Post
Looks nicer than my neighbor's yard . . .

Best part is his creeping charlie is creeping over the imaginary line separating the properties.
NickTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Price View Post
haha.... no they do not! I NEVER let it get this bad, as I cut it once a week. However what happened this time is that I had to leave town for a work trip, the day I left it poured, and poured, came back 4 days later to this!

Also I have 2 active kids, they watch less than an hour of tv a week, aka they are outside ALL OF THE TIME!!! SO I always stayed away from the chem's....

So.. i have 2 options, GOT IT!

1. kill weeds with man made chemicals and deal with what that means.. i.e. runoff into our lands rivers, ect, ect..

2. cut grass "longer" aka I have been cutting it at 3/4" but seems like even thats too short...

decisions, decisions..

LASTLY from what you can see in the last pic, is my grass still save-able? The door to door lawn guys are telling me I have nothing but weeds and no grass and quote me a complete lawn do-over, aka RESOD everythign for a cool $3k-5K..

thoughts?

oNe
Spray any 2,4-D containing product. It'll make short work of dandelions. And it's fairly mild as far as chemicals go. Mowing off the heads doesn't really kill the dandelions and if anything spreads the seeds.

From an "environmental perspective" (whatever the hell that means) you won't have any runoff unless you spray in the storm drain. Spraying the lawn, it will infiltrate through the soil, cleaning it along the way to the groundwater.

I can't tell how much grass you have from the last picture. But kill off the weeds now and try some seed. Especially in the fall, and you'll have a nice grass lawn.

Last edited by NickTheGreat; 05-25-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
From an "environmental perspective" (whatever the hell that means) you won't have any runoff unless you spray in the storm drain. Spraying the lawn, it will infiltrate through the soil, cleaning it along the way to the groundwater.
Groundwater is well known to have pesticides in it Not sure where your groundwater is.

Will get a cite.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:29 PM   #10

Sorry, I got distracted :}

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post

From an "environmental perspective"

http://water.usgs.gov/edu/pesticidesgw.html

Last edited by Nik333; 05-25-2016 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:35 AM   #11

well sprayed it on Friday evening...but of course within 45mins it POURED..... FUDGE!!

Product says rain ready in 60mins.. so we'll have to see what happens..

for the back yard aka where the kids play gonna just go all natural, set lawn mower height to 2nd highest settings.. barely cuts the grass but cuts all the dandelion's.. we'll have to see!

Anyone know if the Menards/Home depot offer some kind of product for a self lawn aeration? I asked them on Friday and they looked at me like I was crazy, but i think dude had no clue..

oNe
Old 06-01-2016, 11:33 AM   #12

Home depot has a lawn care rental section. I've never used it, but it's worth looking into

http://www.homedepot.com/c/lawn_and_...ental#aerators
Sponsored Links
Advertisement