Help Me With This Disaster - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2016, 01:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Help me with this disaster

I have this area on the north side of the of the house, between the side and the fence. The grass never grew very well, and I could not get back there to mow very easily because the A/C condenser blocked the path. So I decided to try covering it with garden fabric and white pavestone rocks. My thought was to prevent the weeds from growing. Take a look at the pictures below.

Did I really screw this up? Should I have just used mulch instead? What would you recommendations be?
Attached Thumbnails
Help me with this disaster-img_20160930_124354404_hdr.jpg   Help me with this disaster-img_20160930_124401562_hdr.jpg   Help me with this disaster-img_20160930_124409402_hdr.jpg  
elmonorojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2016, 01:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,522

Re: Help me with this disaster

Research Mondo grass. There are both spreading and clumping cultivars.

I cut ours once per year ( February ) with a string trimmer.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2016, 02:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,522

Here is an example of ( what we were told is ) Monkey grass at out residence on the north side between the house and concrete walk. It is the spreading variety we planted as plugs about a foot apart.
Attached Images

SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2016, 05:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 7,001

Considering how tight that space is and the location I would most likely follow the same course of action as you did. I would have chosen river polished pebbles.

Suggest you build an off the ground rack for the firewood so the rotting bark won't contaminate your rocks.

When stuff eventually starts to grow through, simply spray with a weed and grass killer.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:28 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 7,564

I never heard of Mondo grass, but I agree with your idea that grass will never grow there properly.

The landscaping fabric is fine, but people think they are all set because weeds wont grow though it. But dirt and weed seeds land on top, and you can still have weeds.

Mulch is just going to be a mess. I think I would have put 24" paving stones (few joints = few weeds), or interlocking bricks. But can't really argue against the stones.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:20 PM   #6
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,192

Not sure if you "covered" the fabric with paving stones or just laid down a few as shown in the pic. Being on the north side and a high wall and high fence, little will grow properly in there. Grass will grow thru landscaping cloth, especially the grade found at most retailers. I vote for river stones and you can Killex anything that grows thru.

Re your wood pile, I'd keep it up off the ground and away from the wall a bit to ensure air circulation and minimize insects getting into it, especially carpenter ants.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement