Help Draining Yard - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By de-nagorg
  • 1 Post By lenaitch
  • 1 Post By Bondo

Old 02-17-2018, 01:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help draining yard

I donít know much about French drains and such, but I have a very bad water issue with my back yard. In my backyard is an existing concrete slab that I would like to finish building a garage on. My problems first started last summer when having a road cut in and water line ran to my garage. They dug the trench and it literally filled up with water overnight. This winter with all of the rain we are recieving in southern Kentucky, my back yard literally has a small creek running through it at times.
Ive taken a few photos so maybe you all can suggest my best route to take here. Basically I have very bad run off from the neighbors field which is uphill from me.
The first photo is looking up towards my neighbors field. The second is my back yard where the water problem lies. The third is my lower yard where the problem also lies and the other neighbors field that has a branch in it but is well below my property level. The fourth is a top view of my yard. My property is outlined in white, the branch below me in blue, and the water issue areas in red.
I donít know if a French drain is what I need as Iím not very familiar with different methods of draining a yard. I did get permission from the neighbor to run drain lines to the branch if that is okay to do. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
derekeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2018, 01:22 PM   #2

Re: Help draining yard

Backyard

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2018, 01:23 PM   #3

Lower yard

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2018, 01:25 PM   #4

Satellite view. White lines are property line, blue line is branch in neighbors field and red lines are where the water issue lies.

Old 02-17-2018, 01:26 PM   #5

I should also note that the shed in the pictures will be torn down as soon as the garage is up. It will no longer be in the way.

Old 02-17-2018, 03:38 PM   #6
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 4,082

Build a swale on the uphill side to divert the runoff to the end, and around your property.

ED
Bondo and SeniorSitizen like this.
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:13 PM   #7
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,224

I like de-nagorg's idea. Assuming that the natural grade is from (satellite) left to right and when you say 'branch' you mean what looks like either a natural creek or manufactured drainage ditch, then that is where you want water to drain, so a swale along the left and rear of your property should direct the water to the 'branch'.

You could also cut a few farm-type drainage tiles laterally across your property, but a swale will be a whole lot cheaper. They still might be beneficial if your soil is really dense and you have standing water on your lawn after a rain.
de-nagorg likes this.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:11 AM   #8
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,344

Ayuh,..... Buildin' on Ed's idea,.....
Swale the water out by lowerin' the grade where yer red lines are to quicken the natrual water flows,....
Like in this picture,....

There's a dam along the trees,.....
Water is Tryin' to flow away, both beyond the 2nd tree, 'n between the trees,....
Just lower the dam, 'n the water is gone,....

Then do the same along yer red lines,....

What's this "branch", the blue line,..??
I ask because a natural swale can be seen in the sat. picture, that doesn't go anywhere near the blue line,...
It seems to meander off to the upper left,...
de-nagorg likes this.
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 01:58 PM   #9

The water off of may back porch wasnít as bad until the people cutting in my driveway cut the dirt away from right off of the back porch. Now its a lake there for weeks at a time. As far as lowering water around the trees to help with that, the roots are already exposed at multple places there. Iím afraid of killing the trees.
It doesnít show up as good in the photos but there is a swale to the right of the trees in the above photo. Its between the trees and the shed. It channels water from to the branch, creek, water channel or whatever your side of the creek calls it... lol. Itís a natural stream about 3 ft wide and runs for a good 5 miles. Anyways, maybe the swale needs some fine tuning? If so then i may need to put a culvert at the road that the swale runs towards?

Old 02-18-2018, 08:12 PM   #10
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,224

If there is natural drainage between the trees and shed running to the blue line, then your best bet is probably to take advantage of it and 'improve' it. Yes, you will need to run a culvert under your new driveway unless you want to continue the swale across it which will likely want to wash it out. A swale around the perimeter will still help to drain water from all of your yard instead of drawing it to the middle.

If you've got heavy subsoil, cutting off the topsoil probably removed the most effective way for water to percolate/drain away.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:34 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,800

Put back the soil that was cut away from the back porch. It may take some time to get the new soil compacted as well as the old soil used to be, so the water will run off rather than just percolate in and stay there and make the new soil muddy and mushy for a long time.

Last edited by AllanJ; 02-19-2018 at 07:44 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement