Help Constructing Drainage Swale - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bondo
  • 1 Post By Drachenfire

Old 02-23-2018, 10:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 207

Help constructing drainage swale

I have attached a picture of the area I need help with.

Backstory:

I built an addition off the back of my house (towards the drainage slope that goes the other way). The ground was already pretty close to the siding and now they require 8" from siding to earth. The normal slope of the ground would bring into the foundation at about 3".

I need to dig down 5" around the foundation and somehow build a swale that will direct the water around the back of the house to the side and out the front. The picture shows a top view and side view of the area.

If I missed anything pertinent let me know. I'm in CA and under permit and not sure what materials would be needed to accomplish this. Can this be drain tile or is it just a ditch carved in the ground? I also want to install a deck over this area.
Attached Thumbnails
Help constructing drainage swale-img_2107.jpg  
wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2018, 10:58 AM   #2
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,244

Re: Help constructing drainage swale

Basically a swale is just going to be a regrading.... landscapers can certainly help with a little bob or back-hoe in there.... I can't tell how much dirt you have to move.

Your BO can advise if a concrete pad way along your home can be employed such that you only need 2" below slab grade, rather than 8....(I thought it was 6)
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2018, 02:52 PM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,342

Ayuh,.... A Swale is a barely noticeable trench dug into the ground that continuously falls away from it's high point,....

Could be done with a shovel, pickax, rake, 'n wheelbarrow, or a bulldozer,....
Or anything in between,...
mark sr likes this.
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2018, 03:10 PM   #4
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,182

As the other lads have said, a swale is just a wide, shallow, gradual depression that slopes to a centre then slopes to where you want the water to go. It should be wide and shallow enough that you could run a lawn mower over/through it. Ideally, you should want it about 6' away from your foundation - and the grade sloped from the foundation to the swale - and keep any changes of direction nice and gradual, just like in your diagram.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:11 PM   #5
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,776

Think of it as a ditch but without steep sides, blended smoothly into the rest of the terrain so you can easily mow it.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:35 PM   #6

Ok. I just don't think I can move that much dirt. Hoping I could do something closer to the foundation. Like within 2 feet. Digging any more than that would require a LOT of dirt removal and machines. Is there another way to do this? Thanks for the help so far.

EDIT: Also, I want to build a deck over this area.

Last edited by wease; 02-23-2018 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:10 AM   #7
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,776

A narrow ditch will likely work but it won't look as nice and could be a trip hazard. I suppose you could fill the ditch with big rock.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:02 AM   #8
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 4,030

A French drain might be better, buried underground, and then a deck over it.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:13 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,800

It is better if the primary water flow is away from the foundation.

The more water runs by your foundation, the more water will soak in before getting all the way past, and this will aggravate basement flooding problems and/or increase the load on your basement sump pump.

A disadvantage of an underground French drain compared with a swale is that you need more downgrade to work with to get the water that entered the French drain back out to the surface to run down your existing drainage slope at the edge of your property (top of your diagram) beyond your addition.

Last edited by AllanJ; 02-24-2018 at 08:21 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:28 AM   #10

I don't have a basement. Just very low crawl space.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:02 AM   #11
Big Dog

Rewards Points: 3,994

I had an issues with water at the back of my house flooding my lower floor due to a slight slope of the property.

I installed a french drain system to move water from the back of my house and around to the front.

Looking at from the back it works this way. The property slopes from right to left and back to front.

There are downspouts on both ends of the house.

The drain is connected to the downspout it then moves to the left and goes into a two a grated top 12"x12" catch basin. There is then about 6 feet of drain pipe and another grated top 12"x12" catch basin. These basins are what collect the water flow from the yard. The pipe then continues to the left corner where that down spouts ties into the system. From there it runs diagonally across the yard to the low point where it is connected to a pop-up diverter. The connection to the downspouts serve two purposes it keeps the water from the yard and it helps flush the french drain pipe.

I have had that system in for about 5 years now and it continues to work perfectly.
de-nagorg likes this.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm," and the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."
Drachenfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement