Help With 1" Sprinkler Valve - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2018, 11:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 26

Help with 1" sprinkler valve

Hi,

I recently replaced a 1" sprinkler valve for my lawn with an Orbit brand valve. The new valve has adjustable flow control, but the control doesn't seem to make much difference and the max I can get out of it is about 3' at the sprinkler heads (there are 6 heads at the lawn).

If I use the manual on/off control, it will shoot 10' at the heads.

Anyone have a suggestion for a better valve? Do all the new adjustable flow models reduce the max flow?

Thanks,
Steve
bausin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2018, 03:31 PM   #2

Re: Help with 1" sprinkler valve

So I took the valve apart and found that when disassembled, I could turn the flow control a few more turns open. Tested it again and the flow is normal, but there is a resonance, at about 2 Hz, that shakes the valve and the PVC tubes attached to it. I was able to reduce the shaking by backing off the flow a bit, but couldn't completely eliminate it. Guess I'll just live with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2018, 06:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,042

Or go back to the original equipment.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2018, 10:01 PM   #4

Unfortunately, the original was 20 years old and they don't make that model anymore. Same for the Rainbird timer I just replaced. You can't get the simple $20 timer anymore. The cheapest one is $50.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:39 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 818

They still make lots of different kinds of straight on-and-off valves instead of variable flow ones. Why did you go to the extra expense of a variable flow 1 if you're going to run it wide open?
Old 10-14-2018, 12:18 AM   #6

I just picked it up at Home Depot and didn't realize it had flow control. I'll see if they have a Rainbird without flow control.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:40 PM   #7

Checked HD online and couldn't find any brand of sprinkler valve that didn't have flow control.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:00 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,138

Those valves must have a pressure drop across them to actuate the pilot valving. It sounds like the 2hz vibration is actually he valve opening and closing. I would expect that to kill the the valve pretty quickly, if not damage something else.

While I can appreciate the "idea" of adjustable valves, they are not a very good idea for homeowners IMO. Coming from golf course and commercial irrigation as well as residential, I have seen it all. There is about ZERO reason to have flow adjustment on a valve. I would guess the guts can probably be modified to work better but probably pointless when you can just replace it.

A couple concerns I have is if operating on a private well, the system needs to be tuned so the pump does NOT cycle during operation. If that means "nozzling up", so be it but some may try to tune their system with that valve and cause bigger problems.

The other is people confusing "variable flow" with a real "regulator" for drip irrigation. Without a regulator, you can still blow stuff up easily and without a filter, you can expect it not to work right in a couple years.

If you want basic and cheap, Orbit, like most others, has ripped off the old RB jartop valves. Personally, I would use a better design but they are like 10 bucks.
viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement