Have Solar Lights Improved? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Bud9051
  • 1 Post By SeniorSitizen
  • 1 Post By 47_47
  • 1 Post By Dave Sal
  • 1 Post By Gymschu

Old 10-23-2017, 07:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 110

Have solar lights improved?

Has solar lighting technology improved since they first appeared in the 90's

I remember using them and finding low output and was wondering if anyone has found better quality lights that are brighter and have longer lasting rechargeable batteries
provlima is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2017, 07:20 AM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 4,328

Re: Have solar lights improved?

What type lighting are you referring to? Landscape lighting, RV lighting, Deck lighting? Many improvements have taken place over the last century, so you'd mostly have to go see the ones you like in person and see how they work and if they put off the lumens you expect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2017, 07:29 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,322

Recently I bought a whole bunch of solar lights similar to these 25 cents each!

Check the clearance aisle at your local Wally-Mart.
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2017, 07:34 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,188

Just my opinion but, the inexpensive landscape lighting shouldn't be included when judging the advancement in technology, that market is flooded with the worst of the worst. The answer as Chandler said is, the technology has improved significantly, however we won't see it in low priced products.

What's your application prov?

Bud
Gymschu likes this.
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
Just my opinion but, the inexpensive landscape lighting shouldn't be included when judging the advancement in technology, that market is flooded with the worst of the worst. The answer as Chandler said is, the technology has improved significantly, however we won't see it in low priced products.

What's your application prov?

Bud
I was just trying to point out that the technology, obviously not the state of the art kind of product that you'd use to power a Mars rover, has progressed to the point where low-end products can be manufactured for pennies.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:53 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 6,188

@ ZZZ I was typing while you posted so was just pointing out that we shouldn't judge quality by looking at lights like that. Always amazes me that they can mfg, package and ship this stuff half way around the world and get it on a shelf for us to buy for pennies. Doesn't leave much room for quality parts.

I bet I've thrown away 50 of the earlier landscape lights that somehow convinced the wife they should live in our yard. Few ever lasted for more than a month or two.

I see Prov is visiting so Ill watch for an update.

Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
@ ZZZ I was typing while you posted so was just pointing out that we shouldn't judge quality by looking at lights like that. Always amazes me that they can mfg, package and ship this stuff half way around the world and get it on a shelf for us to buy for pennies. Doesn't leave much room for quality parts.

I bet I've thrown away 50 of the earlier landscape lights that somehow convinced the wife they should live in our yard. Few ever lasted for more than a month or two.

I see Prov is visiting so Ill watch for an update.

Bud
The lights I bought recently replaced some that I bought two or three years ago. The old solar cells still worked fine, but the rechargeable batteries were worn out. I replaced a couple of the batteries, and then I realized that it's cheaper to replace the entire unit than to replace just the batteries.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:23 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,598

Disappointed in that after 2 years the battery is good, solar good but what good are they if the motion detector has failed and the light flashes like lightning. About a hundred bucks so what do we need to spend to get satisfaction? According to this I say technology is still lacking in some areas.
Attached Images

Bud9051 likes this.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:00 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZZ View Post
The lights I bought recently replaced some that I bought two or three years ago. The old solar cells still worked fine, but the rechargeable batteries were worn out. I replaced a couple of the batteries, and then I realized that it's cheaper to replace the entire unit than to replace just the batteries.
X2 I found the same thing and buy year-end clearance WalMart lights. Leave them outside all year and last a few years. Used to get more expensive lights and brought them in before snow. Lasted just as long, but replacements battery cost, cleaning corroded battery contacts weren't worth it. Leave the cheapies out all the time and they get buried under snow in the winter.
ZZZZZ likes this.
47_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:40 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,210

I'm going to assume that you're talking about landscape lighting. I've had Malibu low voltage lights around my home since I bought the house over 30 years ago. Some other homes in the area have tried solar landscape lights over the years and so far, every one that I've seen has been awful. They are either extremely dim, have a cold bluish color, and tend to shut off after only a few hours, especially if the sky was cloudy that day. My Malibu lights have always worked, rain or shine, all year round.
Gymschu likes this.
Dave Sal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:43 PM   #11
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 6,850

I've purchased just about every version of solar landscaping lights. I went cheap, I bought expensive, I bought middle-of-the-road. None of them last very long and as Dave Sal said, they are dim in comparison to the low voltage lighting. Now, I just buy the cheapest I can find, usually a buck at the Dollar Store and I just expect to get one season out of them. Next year I just buy more to replace the ones which inevitably fail.
Dave Sal likes this.
Advertisement

Tags
solar garden light